Tip 4: Create a Good Cover - Layout

How you arrange your images and text on the cover matters. As previously mentioned, the text needs to be readable against the background it sits on. Placing the text within the natural spaces of your image achieves this, and helps the text look like it flows with the image rather than competing against it.

Allow Breathing Room at the Edges

I see a lot of covers where the author's name practically skims the outer edge of the image. This looks bad, and also risks being cut off on certain page displays. At the very least, try to maintain a buffer of 20 pixels or more from all edges. 40 would be better. This is just a rough guideline, and refers only to text. Images are fine along the edges.

It's Okay to Cut Off the Image

There's no need to include the entire person in the image. Sometimes half a face can feel more compelling or artistic than the entire face. If you need to make room for text, experiment with moving the image off the edge.

Name Placement

Your name doesn't have to go at the bottom, and it doesn't have to be small either. Big name authors have their names huge and bold at the top. Of course, their name is the selling point of that book, so it probably wouldn't work to your advantage, but the point is you can put your name pretty much wherever you like, as long as it looks good.

Emphasize One Element Over Others

In the big-name books, you'll see JAMES PATTERSON emblazoned on the cover because the author is the selling point. In other books the title might be the big, bold element. Still others might feature a mesmerizing setting or an interesting character.

This piece of advice is one that I read about recently, so some of my own covers don't follow this recommendation. It makes sense though. When you have too many competing design elements, the eye has trouble figuring out where to land, so it may go land on some other book instead.

The cover for my YA paranormal novel, My Mother Runs with Wolves, was designed by a cover artist who knew what they were doing. The background has an intriguing silhouette of a wolf, but the title is the primary point of interest.

If cover layout feels too intimidating for you, don't worry. You don't have to do it yourself! There are numerous cover artists available to help. In the next chapter, I'll list some resources to help you in your quest for the perfect cover.