Tip 14: Promote Other Writers

"Wait a minute," you might be thinking. "Shouldn't I be promoting myself?"

Well yes, but this tip is addressing a bigger picture: the need to gain followers. Hear me out.

Let's say you're at a party full of people you don't know. You're listening to some random person droning on and on about their accomplishments. It kind of makes you want to leave the room. What if they instead recognized your work and began talking about your accomplishments? Wouldn't that make you pay attention? Doesn't that warm you toward this person? If you were to encounter this person again outside the party, wouldn't you be more inclined to interact and speak highly of them?

When I say "promote other writers", I don't mean run an advertising campaign for them. I mean say nice things about them. When an opportunity arises to recommend someone else's work, do it, and tag the writer while you're at it.

Do not, however, expect anything in return. The purpose of this practice isn't to exchange favors. It's to foster a sense of goodwill. You're building a reputation for yourself. You want to be perceived as sincere, not conniving. You want people doing nice things for you in return because they think you deserve it, and not from a begrudging sense of obligation. The good karma you build today will come back to you later.

Some ways you can promote other writers:

- When someone asks for recommendations (maybe in a forum or on their profile), mention some of your favorites.

- When a fellow writer is trying to promote their story, amplify their efforts by retweeting, copying/pasting onto your profile, or somehow broadcasting this promotion.

- Create a curated reading list.

- Share some of your favorite works on your profile, linking to the work.

- Compliment other writers publicly, like in comments or in forum dialogue. Try to keep it a natural part of the dialogue and not like some weird, out-of-place advertisement.

- When a contest asks for nominations, submit some of your favorites.

Sometimes it may feel like you're competing with other writers, but it's actually a community. It's better to bolster each other rather than tear others down trying to claw your way up. Be good to others, and others will be good to you.