Tip 9: Post on a Schedule

A big part of the "trendiness" calculation includes posting activity. The algorithm wants to bring fresh content to readers, so when you post new chapters, it adds a lot of weight. When you post new chapters regularly, your story is seen as fresher than others.

Finish the Story First

I always write my stories offline, and don't start posting until it's finished. For me, "offline" means I write it in Microsoft Word. For you, it could be Google Docs or saving in Wattpad Draft form. By waiting until the story is finished to begin posting, you get the following advantages:

- You can set any kind of posting schedule you want and not worry about keeping up.

- You can proofread and make final edits on each chapter just before publishing it. We often catch things we missed earlier after some time away.

- You will gain a reputation for reliability and finished stories.

Scheduling vs Posting Everything at Once

I've read tons of debate over posting schedules vs serving up your entire story at once. The argument for all-at-once hinges on the fact that most readers prefer to begin finished stories. It's a horrible thing when you get into a story but can't finish because it has no end. So if they see your story is incomplete, they're likely to move on.

There's merit to that argument, but how will readers find you? If you post everything at once, you might trend well for a day or two, but then you disappear again. Readers can't select your complete story if they never see it.

To address the "incomplete" issue, add a prominent note to your story description stating your story is complete, but being posted at regular intervals. This tells the reader there will be an ending, so they won't be left hanging.

Scheduling Strategy

Our conundrum: The more chapters you post, the stronger your trending power is. But the faster you post chapters, the faster you run out of them, and soon you'll have no more power.

The trick is to find that balance between hitting the hot lists and using your power in measured amounts to stay there longer. It's like long distance running. You start off with a spurt to get to the front half of the pack, then you bide your time, gradually climbing the ranks. Runners who waste all their energy sprinting will find they can't keep up later in the race.

There's a lot of debate over what the best posting tactic is, but here's what a lot of successful Wattpadders do: 

1. Post a chapter a day for 5-7 days in a row. This gets your ranking motor started. Some people release a chapter a week until they reach the halfway point of their story. What works best always fluctuates, so it's best to monitor your rankings and adjust accordingly.

2. Slow down to two or three times a week. Once a week is also okay, but it may not be enough power to get you ranked higher.

3. Once you appear in the top 50, you can experiment and try once a week to make your run last longer. Oftentimes the increased visibility attracts enough readers to make up for the reduced posting activity. If you notice a drop in rank, then go back to your previous posting schedule.

4. Feel free to experiment. The algorithm is always changing, which means our tactics may need to change as well.

When to Post

Statistically, the weekend is when readership is highest. For once a week, posting on Thursdays or Fridays is the most effective. I find I get more votes and comments when I post on Fridays. Monday and Tuesday posts are the slowest. For two or three times a week, I usually spread it out across the week, like Monday-Wednesday-Friday or Wednesday-Friday. Again, experiment and see what works for you.