CHAPTER EIGHT

Manhattan, New York City

One month later...

Gentle light streamed in and beckoned my eyes open. It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't home. My neck was stiff and I was uncomfortable as hell. My eyes flew open as soon as I felt the extra weight shift onto me.

I sat up a little and Dylan's apartment came into view and so did Nick, who was sleeping soundly against my lap. His eyes were shut closed and his hair was dishevelled. I unconsciously felt my fingers sink into his soft curls. It was so beautiful, so soft and just amazing.

It immediately reminded me of Dylan and I felt guilty sitting there with Nick, while Dylan was probably in potential trouble and I was sitting here doing nothing.

Nick stirred and I immediately pulled my fingers back. His long eyelashes fluttered open and his green eyes immediately found mines. I redden at the fact that I'd practically been caught red-handed playing with his hair.

"It feels nice," he mumbled with a smile.

I began playing with his curls again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stay over."

He shifted his shoulders and yawned. "That's fine. I don't mind. It's been long since I've been in the company of a girl. Besides, you're good company. It made me feel better."

I blushed, unsure of what to say, but Nick was already waking up and pulling on his sneakers.

"Do you want to get something to eat?" he asked.

I sat up and nodded. "Sure, what do you have in mind?"

****

Minutes later, we were seated in a tiny cafe named, Café Italia, with a stack of thick, fluffy pancakes that sat in a pool of gooey golden syrup.

Nick and I wasted no time and dove right in. I helped myself to a pancake and could swear that I made yummy 'mmmm's' as the sweetness flooded my taste buds. My fingers were sticky and couldn't care less as I licked off the sugar. Nothing ever tasted so good other than the extra dark roasted coffee that the waiter had brought us a little while.

"You like sweet stuff," Nick said as he sat back and studied me.

"And bitter stuff too." I motioned to my sugarless-creamless coffee that was so strong, it threatened to keep me up for days.

"We have pretty much the same tastes," he said.

I laced my fingers around my mug, unsure of what else to say. I barely knew the guy and I cried myself out to him last night, spent the night in his arms and shared a couch with him. It was beyond awkward at this point.

"So…"I lifted my cup to my lips and gulped down most of my coffee.

Was I nervous? WTF was wrong with me?

Nick gave me a small smile and leaned in. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That this is just all awkward?"

I gave a short laugh of relief. "That's exactly what I'm thinking."

"Are you in college?" he asked casually after a few silent moments.

"College graduate and currently unemployed. I only did one course which I began immediately after High School."

I remembered that time so well. It was just after my parents had passed away and I was only focused on college at that point.

"What did you study?"