CHAPTER TWELVE

Manhattan, New York City

One month later...

Halloween started with me waking up to the sounds of my aunt shuffling around downstairs in the kitchen.

Whenever she was sad or going through a tough time, she'd always be in the kitchen, whipping up some fabulous creation. I was still sleepy and I remembered bits and pieces of the night before. I mostly remembered Nick and me going in for that unexpected kiss and me pulling away abruptly. And then I remembered my aunt being in a distraught state when I came into the apartment. The rest was foggy.

I got up from bed, even though I didn't want to. Everything in me made me want to curl up on the couch and fall asleep to Netflix movies. But I couldn't afford to sit on my laurels today.

I decided on a hot shower first. I stood underneath the spout, relishing the water as it moved along my skin, forming rivulets.

When I got out, I pulled on an orange sweater and a pair of dark jeans, before drying my hair off with a hairdryer. I then brushed it down until it was soft and silky. It was finally starting to grow, I realised as I touched the strands that went just below my earlobes.

Grabbing my phone, I made my way out of my room and went downstairs. Smells of pumpkin and spices filled my nostrils as I walked into the kitchen.

Aunt Jean was working on her famous pumpkin pie, piping in the mixture into a
metal tin, while stirring something else on the stove.

The countertop was laden with food. And when I meant food, I meant enough to feed big three families. There were veggies, and I definitely spotted three different soups; probably spinach, carrot and pumpkin, thinly sliced lamb and a big bowl of salad. There were other delicious plates of food that I couldn't put a name to.

"Good morning," I said, enveloping her in a tight hug.

She slid an arm around me and smiled as
brightly as she could even though I could see that her eyes were puffy.

"Morning, sweetie."

I grabbed a plate and began loading it with food. "Wanna Netflix and chill?"

Aunt Jean chuckled and grabbed her plate too. "Yes, I'd love that. Even though I'm supposed to be going in to work right now."

"No work today," I said.

Food in hand, we went into the living room, climbed underneath the warm, fluffy orange blankets and binged on Billions as we ate soft orange-glazed pancakes, the best choc chip muffins and Cheetos.

"Why can't we all have a Bobby Axelrod? I mean the guy is perfect," Aunt Jean said.

I smiled and rested my head against the pillow. "Oh, no. He's far from perfect. But he is a pretty hot, crazy billionaire."

"I agree."

I grabbed the remote and paused Billions and turned to my aunt. "So, are you going to tell me what's going on?"

"With?" Aunt Jean raised her eyebrows.

I gave her my best 'Are you serious?' look.
"With you and Eric."

She sighed and looked away. "He wants to get married and I don't think I'm ready for that. Eric said that we're not getting any younger and that he won't ask me again."

"What?! Why didn't you say yes?" I sat up straight.

Aunt Jean shrugged, there were tears in her eyes. "Because I just want to spend a little more time with you. This year has been so good for me and so life-changing. I'm afraid that I've become too attached and I'm concerned about you. I just want to be around for a little longer, before you go off on your own."

I smiled sadly at my aunt and wrapped my arms around her. "You're a good person aunt Jean. Just a little overprotective and all parents are like that. Which is why, you should get up now, get dressed, go to Eric and tell him that you'll marry him. And when you're married you can make new babies, but I'll always be there for you."

She laughed but got up immediately. "You know, you're right! I can't believe how stupid I was to turn him down! I have to see him now."

I watched as she pulled on her sneakers and grabbed her satchel and jacket before running towards the door.

"I don't know what time I'll be back. I have a lot of making up to do. I love you and thank you," she said.

"Take however long you need and I love you too," I called out as she left.

When she closed the door shut, the apartment was filled with silence again and I felt a strange emptiness inside of me, so I pressed resume on the show and drowned myself out with Billions.