CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Manhattan, New York City

Three Months Later

Leah

"I don't know how to thank you," I said.

Jacques laughed and it sounded kinda funny over the phone. "Oh, just show up to dinner and that will be enough. I will be there with several other gurus in our photography world."

"I don't know about that-" I began, but Jacques' wild laugh was already cutting me off.

"It's at the Saylor Towers. Be there at eight. Just come. They're doing a French dinner in our honour tonight."

"Okay," I said, laughing. "I'll be there."

"Bye!" he said boisterously before ending the call.

Shaking my head, I put my phone down and turned to my wardrobe. Who knew I'd be doing something with my life in just three months?

Aunt Jean had finally gotten me to get to that meet and greet with her friend Veronica's La Femme Magazine Editor friend, Jacques and he was a great guy. He may have been fifty-three, but he was super cool to hang out with.

Glancing at my watch, I still had three hours to kill before dinner, so I decided to spruce myself up.

I shaved my legs, had a long, hot shower, and then lathered my body with a rose-water scented body cream.

When I was done, I combed through my closet for something dazzling and settled for a black flare lace dress with spaghetti straps and black heels.

I pinned my hair up, leaving a few loose blonde strands, and applied some nude Mac lipstick with a little brown eyeshadow to bring out my eyes.

When I was done, I gave myself a once over in the mirror and grabbed my purse.

I felt like a million bucks. The dress hugged my body in all the right places and the minimal makeup gave me a sultry vibe.

Taking a deep breath, I swallowed a nervous laugh and left the apartment.

****

Dinner was incredible. Jacques had introduced to me to several of his friends and associates that he'd met over the years he'd spent in the photography industry.

I was more than overwhelmed and felt a huge relief when desserts had ended and people started leaving the table.

"I hope this inspires you for the future," Jacques was saying as we headed to the bar.

"I'm excited. I'm glad that you did this tonight," I said.

"It's a pleasure darling." He patted my shoulder. "And if you don't mind, I think I better head off. I see some dessert that's waiting to be picked up."

I looked over at the young man that was checking Jacques out from across the room and smiled. That was his type alright. A tall, sexy guy with model vibes. And living in the heart of Manhattan, the chances were he was familiar with the runway.

I kissed Jacques goodbye and then helped myself to the bar area contemplating which drink to get.

"Long Island Ice Tea or Mai Tai?"

That was familiar. It brought back memories from a few months ago and I remembered everything so well.

I look up at the bartender. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Someone thought you'd like Mai Tai," the bartender pointed to someone behind me.

I turned around and saw him sitting at a table. Nick. His dark curls were lustrous than ever. And his piercing green eyes stared right back at me.

I knew that if I walked over to him now, I wouldn't be going home alone tonight. But did I want to go through all the trouble again of getting my heart played?

Nick wasn't like Steven, my con artist ex. He wasn't like Dylan, who probably hurt a lot of people and was selfish about taking his life. But I decided that Nick probably had his bag of bones. We all did.

Could I hold him responsible for Dylan's death? Three months ago, I would have said yes. But then, I realized that Dylan decided that taking his life was something that he wanted, and in the end, no one could be blamed for that.

I loved Dylan, but to put it bluntly, he dug his grave and when the time came, he knew he'd have to lay in it too.

So I walked over to Nick, my eyes grazing over the way his black tee-shirt spread across his chest and the way his dark jeans hugged his lean legs. I missed having this all time.

No words were spoken until we were done with our drinks and it was time to head home.