777 (Prologue)

The entire place had become dark and moist. Lives were being ended like they were worth nothing, and there he stood in front of me, with the blood of my friends and family, people who I had grown up and lived with my entire life, still dripping down his sword. The iron chains around my body never felt heavier as he walked up and looked down on me. "The legendary Shadow, the apparent pinnacle of existence, how does it feel to be so helpless and powerless?"

I strained to look up at him and mustered the very little power I had left as I said, "You know as well as I do that had I not been tired fighting your forces, you wouldn't even have a chance."

"You make me want to laugh. Life is never fair, and you paid the price for thinking otherwise. You all could barely put up a fight, it was all too easy. The legacy of the Wraiths ends tonight, not a single soul from your kind will be allowed to live, we'll exterminate them all!" He said with the wickedness of his heart showing clearly on his face.

Forcing myself not to cower in front of him I replied, "Don't you dare underestimate us, you bastard! As long as there is one of us that is still alive you will never have peace. We won't rest until we've had our revenge ten times fold."

He grabbed my hair with a smirk on his face and forced me to look at him in the eye as he said, "Empty threats don't mean much. Just look at you, the once famous 776th Shadow, the fabled leader of the Wraiths, who is kneeling right in front of me. Get this through your head. Blood, death, darkness, and war, this has been an endless cycle of hatred and battle that has lasted for all of eternity and shall continue to do so. This is how it has always been and how it will always be. There is no-one who can stop it, no matter how ever much you'd want to think otherwise. Your fables of the prophesied seven hundred and seventy seventh Shadow. The one who is prophesied to be able to control and destroy all. The one who holds command of even fate and death itself. We shall wait for him, as we have for more than a million years, and we'll put an end to this children's story, just like we made an end of you!"

That was the last thing I remembered as I saw his blade dyed in red come down at my head. I hope my successor will be able survive through this chaos. The 777th. There will be a lot of hope and responsibility on his shoulders. I will pray for him and entrust whatever I have left to him.