Boxing AU (SFW)

Author's Note: Happy Valentine's day! Even if you don't have a valentine, please enjoy this one-shot along with the other one-shots for your other favorite Aphmau ships in their separate books. Also, to spice things up, all one-shots are from prompts; AU, Canon-Divergent or not. Enjoy!!

Prompt: Person A said that everything was going to be fine and Person B goes along with it reluctantly. Person A ends up hurt and Person B admits how worried they were.

--

"You should stop being so cocky," Laurence said, worrying his lip. Garroth glanced up from his locker, having just changed into his shorts. He slung a towel around his shoulder and crossed his arms.

"What do you mean?" Garroth grinned, tilting his head back with an air of self-assurance. Laurence rolled his eyes and sat beside Garroth on the bench.

"Durant bluffs, so you should be fine." Laurence continued, ignoring him, meticulously going over the notes on his tablet. Garroth was staring him down, taking in his manager. Laurence has been his friend for years, and he was able to keep him in check. For the most part.

Garroth draped his arm over his shoulders and pulled him closer. Laurence narrowed his eyes, tablet falling to his lap. He sank his teeth into his lip, not about to fall for Garroth's fake reassurance.

"Listen, when I finish up tonight, we'll go out to dinner as you've wanted, okay?" Garroth said, leaning in to meet try to meet his eyes. Laurence looked away and got up from the bench, tucking his tablet under his arm.

"Fine," Laurence said and made a move to walk away. Garroth grabbed his wrist.

"You're worried. Why?" Garroth asked, pulling him closer. Laurence met his eyes this time, and Garroth's hands moved to rest at his hips, keeping him grounded.

"He's known for being reckless. And I know that because he's reckless, you're going to do something stupid." Laurence muttered as Garroth traced circles with his thumbs into his hips.

Garroth smirked. "I'm not going to do something stupid. Does that make you feel better?" he asked, tilting his head to the side. Laurence pressed a hand to his cheek and nodded gravelly. Garroth laughed after a second of silence and reached past Laurence to grab his boxing gloves from his locker.

"Can you put them on for me?" Garroth asked, and Laurence chuckled, putting his tablet to the side and taking his gloves in hand. Garroth's hands remained at his sides for as long as they could, and sooner than he would have liked it was time for him to go out in the ring.

Laurence sighed, his hands dropping to his sides. "Beat him up for me, alright?" He said, taking his tablet in his arms. Garroth stood, and pulled Laurence in for their diurnal kiss.

"Don't be cocky, alright?" Laurence said, and Garroth nodded.

--

"I'm his manager, I have the right to see him." Laurence narrowed his eyes at the annoying woman, who was having none of his attitude. He took a deep breath and fixed his posture.

"If you wouldn't mind, may I please have the room for Garroth Ro'Meave? My name is Laurence Zvahl, I am his manager and it's my job to make sure he's alright. I'm sure you know the first thing about wanting to do your job." Laurence snapped, a smile on his face as even his attempt to be polite turned sour. The woman narrowed her eyes, and thankfully his burn must have hurt because suddenly she had given him the room, and he was practically sprinting toward the elevator.

Long story short, Garroth had been rushed to the hospital. Laurence had been correct about Gene Durant: he bluffed but he was too reckless for his good. One rabbit punch and it was all over. Which meant that Garroth had to take that blow, along with the others that were typical in a boxing match. And so Garroth was rushed to the hospital with little to no notice, and much to Laurence's dismay the ambulance had speeded away without so much as waiting for his manager. But that was due to be complained about at a later date.

Once he had arrived at Garroth's room, he almost head-butted a doctor.

"Who are you?" He asked, crossing his arms and blocking the door to Garroth's room. Laurence held his tongue.

"Laurence Zvahl. His manager. I was supposed to be with him in the ambulance." The doctor was hesitating, which made Laurence lose almost all of his patience. "He boxes if the driver failed to admit that." He spat, his nerves pushing him to be mean. This wasn't how Laurence acted daily, it was just that most of the time it was rare for their regular medics to deem their boxers fit for needing care at an actual hospital. "I also, uh, have his phone..." Laurence foraged through the bag on his shoulder.

Because the ambulance left without him, he figured he might as well grab Garroth's things. He was hoping that the doctor would buy the story, as he rudely peered into the bag as Laurence searched, and saw the various amounts of items that would belong to a boxer. A towel, a few water bottles, protein shakes, and other things. Laurence pulled his bag tighter over his shoulder and showed the doctor Garroth's phone, which conveniently had a picture of him and Garroth on vacation last summer. Laurence went bright red at the picture, he had no idea that he was on Garroth's lock screen.

"Fine, you can go in. We had to hook him up on painkillers--" The doctor began, but Laurence had already pushed past him and sat down in a chair beside the hospital bed. Garroth was semi-conscious, and his eyes lit up with joy once he saw Laurence. He had bandages around his skull and in the ring, Laurence saw tons of bad hits so he could only imagine the bruises underneath the hospital clothes and the blanket. Thankfully, the doctor just rolled his eyes and shut the door behind him. He was not in the mood to talk to this supposed "manager" who looked much more like a boyfriend instead.

"Hey, how are you holding up?"

"It's not every day I get high-grade painkillers, so that's a plus," Garroth said, grinning. Laurence grabbed his hand.

"You wanna tell me what's on your lock screen?" Laurence asked, handing him his phone. Garroth chuckled, trying to look innocent as squeezed his hand.

"Why? It was the happiest day of my life." Garroth said, and Laurence laughed with him, before realizing why they were in this situation in the first place.

"You worried the hell out of me." Laurence frowned, and Garroth sighed, knowing he was in the wrong.

"That's what a rabbit punch does, Laurence.." Garroth trailed off, but Laurence wasn't going to have that. And as his manager, it was even more reason he wasn't going to let this slide.

"Garroth, I saw you egg him on. You promised not to do that." Laurence scolded, and Garroth diverted his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but hey, I'm okay. Okay?" Garroth said. Laurence rolled his eyes and leaned over, brushing the hair out of his eyes.

"The next time you do that, you're paying the next time you go out to dinner, got it?" He kissed at his forehead, and Garroth's smile was as bright as the sun.

"That's a deal, Laurence." He said.