Chapter 4: The Pendant of Raion

You figured that the trip to the planet where the talisman was hidden wouldn't be a long one, thanks to the wormhole's compressed travel. However, you had neglected the fact that you would have to sense its presence and find it on your own, which you never took a class on how to do at the Garrison. Still, the elongated flight time wouldn't have been a problem, if you were socially adept. Unfortunately, you held the title for "Most Likely a Mute" in your class polls six years in a row.

It seemed Keith had the same issue, for his eyes only seemed focused on the steering wheel. You racked your brain, trying to find something to say, while partially worrying that Keith might just not want to speak with you, to begin with.

However, unbeknownst to you, your theory was very wrong. Keith was also struggling to find the right thing to say. Clearing his throat, Keith finally broke the uncomfortable silence, only to make it MORE uncomfortable. "Y'know, for a girl who's usually quiet, you sure handle silence poorly."

Your head drooped a little, a little dejected by the impulsive comment. Keith instantly regretted his comment and tried correcting it. "Well, it's good to know that good friends never change."

You glanced at Keith, surprised by the misleading compliment, but you managed a friendly smile to show your thanks, which made him look away again, his face stained a slight pink. Encouraged by his attempt to make small talk, you silently asked what Keith had been up to after leaving the Garrison.

He avoided your gaze when you asked. "I've been...getting by, mainly. Found that old shack and just made ends meet. I kept myself entertained by analyzing the Blue Lion's energy, but nothing outside of that."

The pod was filled with silence once more. "What about you?" Keith asked, trying to keep up their conversation. Facing the ground, you briefly muttered something about continuing your classes in the Garrison. You withheld that part about Iverson constantly telling you to man up and being bullied by various opposing cadet teams about your shyness.

"Hm...I remember those days," he said, focusing back on his steering. "When Shiro put us in the same team, I was always standing up for you when others weren't treating you right. You've been okay on your own, haven't you?"

You hesitated to reply, figuring that you should've expected Keith to suspect your feeble behavior. Before you could get an answer out, there was a loud thump outside of the pod. Keith twisted the flight sticks sharply to steady it, then looked outside to check. "What the-?!"

There was a vast forest down below, and vines were hanging off the branches of the trees. But said vines had come to life, shooting upwards and firing at the jet in long tentacles of green. Keith weaved his way in and out of the vines skillfully, but it wasn't enough. One stray projectile managed to slice the pod's right wing off, and another plowed into the engine, overheating it. Thinking quickly, Keith unbuckled his seat belt, grabbed a blue and white streaked package, and slammed his fist on the ejection. The pod's door flew open and you both sailed out right before the pod exploded.

Now, you two were plummeting towards the ground at top speed. You wanted to scream, but the rush of the wind sucked all the air out of your lungs. Your eyes were locked on the leafy terrain below, knowing that in a thousand more feet, you'd go splat at the bottom, and that would be the end of you.

"(Y/N)!"

You heard Keith call out to you and break you out of your spell. He had the pack from before on his back and he was stretching his arm out to you. "Give me your hand!"

Hoping there was a parachute in that package, you swam towards Keith and latched onto his hand. He pulled you close until he was able to wrap an arm around your waist and hold you tight. He then flicked some sort of release switch, and instead of a parachute, the package unfolded what looked like two booster jets and ignited, slowing your fall with a jolt. If it hadn't been for your frightened death grip around Keith's shoulders, you were sure you would've fallen off.