Chapter 20: Undeniable Destiny

"Are you alright, (Y/N)? You seem a little distant today."

You looked up to face Allura's confrontation in slight surprise, not even realizing you had been zoning out. You coughed and nodded once to show you were okay. She stared at you a little, then looked back to the nearing surface of the Balmera.

"It's alright, I understand," she said comfortingly. "This plan of ours is awful risky. One slip-up could cost us everything. I mean, we're attacking Zarkon directly."

You nodded in agreement, though the risky plan she spoke of wasn't even a quarter of the source of your worries. You were more focused on what happened back in the Blade of Marmora's base. You had an entire night to think it over, and your head STILL wasn't clear. You just couldn't get over the fact that Keith had KISSED a hologram he thought was you, and had been relieved to find it wasn't actually you when you barged in to rescue him. What was that mullet-head thinking? What did he want from you?!

"How are you, Princess?" Coran's voice broke in through your thoughts. "Are you and (Y/N) almost at the Balmera?"

"We're scheduled to arrive in just a few doboshes," Allura replied. "I hope we're able to find a crystal big enough for the teludav."

You recognized what she was talking about. Their plan for stopping Zarkon was infecting his ship with a virus. Then, they'd make an extra-large teludav and lure him inside of it, zapping him many light-years away. When he exited on the other side, Voltron would be there to finish him off. It was more complicated than it sounded, but it was their best bet at taking him down for good.

"Have you heard from the other paladins?" Coran went on. The other paladins had split up in search for the materials needed for the trap. Lance, Pidge, and Shiro were off rescuing Slav, the mechanic capable of constructing the teludav they needed, and Hunk and Keith were on a scaultrite-hauling mission.

"I had contact with Lance, Shiro and Pidge a little bit ago. They've located Slav," Allura told Coran.

"What about Hunk and...and Keith?"

"...No word from them yet."

You noticed Allura hesitate when Coran mentioned Keith's name. Curious, you tilted your head and asked what was the matter. Allura only glanced at you, eyes hard with hatred.

"...It's nothing, (Y/N). Just...something personal."

You furrowed your brow in confusion. Had Allura and Keith had a fight recently? You didn't hear of any argument from him before he left with Hunk. Then again, he wasn't comfortable talking with you at all since the Blade incident, so what would you know anyway? Even so, underneath her anger, you could sense an illusion of concern. Knowing you were being hypocritical, considering your own feelings, but wanting to help the princess, you asked if she was worried about anything else, outside of this "personal business." Her pinched and angry face loosened with a bit of sadness at your gentle confrontation.

"I was thinking of my father," she admitted. "He gave his life to try to keep Voltron out of Zarkon's hands and now we have a chance to defeat him. I...I don't want to fail."

You told her that her father would be proud of her, stepping up and being the leader he always believed she could be. He might have hated you, but you didn't let that stop you from telling Allura what she needed to hear.

"I've never felt so alone..." she sighed.

You answered that you felt the same way, as you had no idea where the Raionsupiriteans were now and felt that you may as well be the only one left of your kind as well, but you wouldn't give up simply because of that. She didn't, either, and you reminded her of whom they had freed and how they were working alongside them now. Your words seemed to lift Allura's spirits, as she flashed a grateful smile towards you.