ESSENTIAL Words & Meaning

🔴Commonly Used Words in Examinations🔴

1. abdicate – to give up a throne or right, power, or claim in a formal manner.
Sample Sentence: Edward VIII abdicated his throne to be with the woman he loved.
2. candor – the quality of being frank, sincere, and honest
Sample sentence: Everyone was surprised by the candor of his speech because he usually evades questions.
3. connive – to conspire; to secretly help someone do something dishonest
Sample Sentence: Two thieves connived with a bank employee and robbed the bank before it closed yesterday.
4. eloquent – showing the ability to use the language clearly and effectively
Sample Sentence: Ninoy Aquino’s eloquent and lively speeches is one of the reasons why he always spoke at the end of every event.
5. forsake – to quit or abandon entirely
Sample Sentence: Disability should not be the reason why you should forsakeyour dreams.
6. inhibit – to restrain or prohibit; to keep someone from doing something
Sample: The presence of CCTV did not inhibit the driver from beating the red light.
7. modicum – small amount or portion
Sample Sentence: He did not even show a modicum of guilt after saying lots of bad things to everyone.

8. nuance – small difference
Sample Sentence: The nuances in our beliefs shouldn’t be a hindrance to keep us united.
9. penchant – a strong liking or inclination
Sample Sentence: I have a penchant for classical music; Pavarotti was one of my favorite classical singers.
10. zenith – the highest point or state
Sample Sentence: The zenith of the human mind is around at age 30. After that, it begins to decline.

😊 Syntax – deals with how words combine to form phrases, clauses, and sentences, and studies the way phrases, clauses, and sentences are constructed.
😊Structure of predication –refers to the two components: subject and predicate
😊Structure of complementation – has two basic elements: verbal and complement
😊Structure of modification – includes two components: headword and modifier
😊Structure of coordination – covers two components: equivalent grammatical units

1. I. Linguistics
1. Scope of Linguistic Studies
1. Phonology – studies the combination of sounds into organized units of speech, the combination of syllables and larger units.
2. Phoneme is a distinctive, contrasted sound unit, e.g. /b/, /æ/, /g/. It is the smallest unit of the sound of any language that causes a difference in meaning.
3. Allophones are variants or other ways of producing a phoneme.
1. Phonetics – studies language at the level of sounds: how sounds are articulated by the human speech mechanism.
2. Morphology – studies the patterns of forming words by combining sounds into minimal distinctive units of meanings called morphemes.
3. The morpheme is a short segment of language which (1) is a word or word part that has meaning, (2) cannot be divided into smaller meaningful parts without violating its meaning, (3) recurs in different words with relatively stable meaning.
4. Allomorphs – are morphs which belong to the same morpheme e.g., /s/, /z/, and /ez/ of the plural morpheme /s/ or /es/.
5. Free morphemes can stand on their own as independent words, e.g., beauty in beautifully, like in unlikely. Thus, they can occur in isolation.
6. Bound morphemes cannot stand on their own as independent words. These morphemes are also called as affixes.
7. Inflectional morphemes
never change the form class of the words or morphemes to which they are attached. They show a person, tense, number, case, and degree.
8. Derivational morphemes are added to root morphemes or stem to derive new words.

1. Russian Formalism – led by Viktor Shklovsky – aims to establish a ‘science of literature’ and discover the literariness of a text by highlighting the devices and technical elements used by the author. These elements should include :
2. baring the device – e.g. distorting time in various ways – foreshortening, skipping, expanding, transposing, reversing, flashback, flashforward, etc.
3. defamiliarization – this means making strange and using fresh ways of describing things
4. retardation of the narrative – the technique of delaying and protracting actions by using digressions, displacements, extended descriptions, etc.
5. naturalization – refers to how we endlessly become inventive in finding ways of making sense of the most random or chaotic utterances or discourse.
6. carnivalization – Mikhail Bakhtin used this term to describe the shaping effect of the carnival on literary texts. The festivities associated with the carnival are collective and popular; hierarchies are turned on their heads (fools become wise; kings become beggars); opposites are mingled (fact and fantasy, heaven and hell); the sacred is profaned; the rigid or serious is subverted, mocked or loosened.

Methods in Teaching Language

- TEACHER ORIENTED METHODS AND APPROACHES:

💋 GRAMMAR TRANSLATION METHOD — when the teacher MAKES the student READ but NOT TO SPEAK the language.

💋 DIRECT METHOD — when the teacher DISALLOWS the students to use VERNACULAR. (DRILLS IN LISTENING AND SPEAKING), ELIMINATION OF GP’s and REPETITION OF FI’s.

- PROVIDES VERBAL CORRECTION

💋 SITUATIONAL LANGUAGE TEACHING — contextual (emphasis on situations)

💋 AUDIO LINGUAL METHOD — FORMAT, ORAL EXERCISES, DRILLS AND STRUCTURAL PATTERNS IN CONVERSATION

LEARNING ORIENTED METHOD:

😂 SERIES METHOD — don’t use translation method, conceptual approach, don’t teach grammar rules and explanations. (MEMORIZATION) ex: LECTURING METHOD

😂 TOTAL PHYSICAL RESPONSE — humanistic approach, teaching language through actions

😂 THE SILENT WAY — metacognition (SIGNALING OF INSTRUCTIONS)

😂 SUGGESTOPEDIA — MIND RELAXATION (MORE ON IMAGINATION, With music bg teaching)

😂 NATURAL APPROACH — VERNACULAR, OR IN ANY WAY THAT THEY CAN COMMUNICATE WITH OTHERS.

😂 IMMERSION —STEP BY STEP TEACHING UNTIL THE STUDENT CAN ACHIEVE PHONETIC AWARENESS. (APPLICABLE ONLY TO NON-NATIVE SPEAKING COUNTRIES LIKE REFUGEES)

😂 READERS RESPONSE APPROACH — “repeat after me”

Learner Oriented Method

🤨 COMMUNICATIVE LANGUAGE APPROACH — uses grammar rules b/c w/o rules it will be useless. It also focuses on the level of the students.

🤨 COMMUNICATIVE COMPETENCE — focuses on:
• grammar structure
• discourse
• socio-linguistic — who are u talking to
• strategic

🤨COOPERATIVE LANGUAGE TEACHING — MAXIMIZED PARTICIPATION IN GROUPS

🤨 CONTENT-BASED INSTRUCTION — teaches language through content, with divergence, the content of the language (complexity of lang)

🤨 TASK BASED LEARNING — activities in teaching the language, being done either inside or outside the class.
Class and Nature are both important factors.
Highlights learning thru tasks.