Five Years Later

It has been five years since the snap. Things were very different from five years ago. Half of the population was gone, but they were not forgotten by those who were left after the snap. During those five long and hard years, Violetta moved out of the Compound into a farmhouse about twenty miles from it. Also, Violetta remodeled the farmhouse while doing her normal duties as a mother and as a nurse. Steve came by often. Marsha moved from Florida to the farmhouse to help with her grandchildren. Nigel was ten and in the fourth grade. Rebecca grew into a beautiful little blue eyed girl. She had red hair like her mother and grandmother. Although Rebecca had sass, she was only five years old. Grant grew into a playful brown eyed little boy. He was a brave three year old. Grant had Bucky's looks. Violetta loved her children. She missed Bucky. He was missing out on his children growing up.

As morning arrived, Violetta woke up a little girl's giggle. She saw a little bit of red hair sticking out of her blankets. Rebecca was trying to hide from her mother. Violetta lifted the blanket off of Rebecca. The little girl giggled as her hands went to her mouth. Violetta sat up on the bed. Rebecca followed her mother by sitting up on the bed. She laid her head on her mother's breast. Violetta wrapped her arm around Rebecca's tiny body.

"I saw daddy." Rebecca said.

"Where at?" Violetta asked her daughter.

"He was in a picture on the shelf." Rebecca answered. She looked at her mother with her ocean blue eyes.

"There is many more of him, Sweet Pea." Violetta reassured her.

"Mommy, was daddy that handsome?" Rebecca said.

"Very handsome indeed." Violetta smiled. She kissed her daughter's head.

Grant came into the room. "Mommy, I hungry." He announced.

"It's time to get up." She said to her younger children. "Nigel!" Violetta called to her oldest son. "Time to get up for breakfast and morning chores." She told him.

At breakfast, the kids sat around the kitchen table. Marsha was helping Violetta with breakfast. Violetta was making scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and toast for the kids. After she was finished with cooking breakfast, Violetta put breakfast on three plates. Marsha passed them out to each child. Violetta and Marsha made their own places then sat with the kids at the kitchen table.

"Is it okay if I teach Rebecca a little bit of Russian?" Marsha asked Violetta in Russian.

"It's okay, mom. She needs to know her heritage." Violetta answered in Russian.

"Who has milking the goats and cow today, mom?" Nigel asked as he took a bite of eggs.

"Grandma today." Violetta replied.

Marsha nodded, "Eddie, Max, and Coco love my hands on their boobies." She smirked at the kids. 

Rebecca and Grant giggled at their grandmother. Nigel shook his head. When breakfast was over, Violetta and Marsha cleaned up the kitchen table. The kids went upstairs to change out of their night clothes into play clothes. Rebecca was the first to come downstairs. Nigel and Grant were last. Nigel always helped Grant to dress in the morning. The kids were never bored around the farm. They had chores in the morning before they went to school or went to play. Violetta spun the chore wheel for the outside. Once the wheel stopped, Violetta glanced over at the kids.

"Rebecca will be collecting eggs from the chicken coop. Nigel will be brushing Ella. Grant will be feeding the animals. Grandma and I are going to milk the goats and cow." Violetta told them.

"Suit up everyone!" Rebecca exclaimed.

"Child, you have been hanging out with Uncle Steve too much." Violetta told Rebecca. She began to get Rebecca and Grant's boots out of the corner.