6

"Welcome back, boys! I'd like you to meet Theo. Theodora Auclair, this is 5 Seconds of Summer."

"–without the vocalist for some reason..."

She hovered her hands on the table to steady herself, thanking above Kat didn't saw her almost horrified expression as the three boys who were way too surprised the same, looked at her as if they had seen a ghost. "O-Our manager's right outside." The only ever one who had managed to speak was Michael and Kat immediately left her with them, mentally cursing fate for playing a cruel game at her. One where she had to face the people she dreaded to see. One where she doesn't know how to... explain herself.

"Theo," Ashton spoke as he walks closer, looking from her head down to her toe, causing her to get more anxious by the minute. "Nice to see you again." The edge in his voice made it obvious for Theo that he hates her and what she did, that they all do. She might've broken Luke's heart, but she's also best friends with the three other band member she had also managed to... hurt.

"What are you doing here?" Calum asked, using a much irritated tone than Ashton did, taking a seat right by a chair while one of his brows were raised.

"I-I'm the photographer." Theo doesn't know how to react aside from politely addressing or answering whatever their questions were. She left so unknowingly to them without anything for the past three years it reached to the point where she doesn't know how to show her face.

"You're our photographer, again." Mikey mumbled which caused Theo to wonder where the vocalist might be but thought twice about asking. "Are you sure you want this, Theo?" He asked again and Theo leans on the table, feeling a pinch in her chest growing by the minute as the boys she considered her brothers for years looks at her as if she's a stranger with a disease. Funny word, disease.

"Do I have a choice, Mike?" She asks, masking the breaking of her voice with fake courage, as much as she could.

"You could tell your boss you changed your mind and wants to go to a vacation in Vegas." Cal interjected and Ashton elbows his arm, causing each of them to size each other up before Calum gave up and raised both his hands. She knew why he was acting that way. Luke almost always showed up to Calum's whenever he can. Whenever he needs a friend close-by, someone who would listen to his endless ramblings whenever Theo has important things to do or when they fight. Theo doesn't doubt for another minute that Luke showed up at Calum's doorstep the minute they broke up, and her immediate absence caused them to hate her.

And that Vegas thing? That damn excuse she made for disappearing out of the blue. It actually reached them even if she didn't have the chance to tell them about it. Only a few of their mutual friends.

"You disappeared for so long we never even knew you're back." Ashton muttered as he looks toward her and Theo could only look away. If only she could tell them. But she can't. For the reason that they might not understand, nor their vocalist would believe it.

"I-I took a break—"

"Yeah, you did. One where you have to break Luke's heart." Calum retorted almost suddenly that made Theo look up to see his sour expression, she was about to reply when Kat and their new manager entered the room, and it seemed as if all the tension was quickly thrown out the window. The only left was their fake smiles. Wow, they're really good at this, she thought.

"It seemed like you've already caught up!" Theo pulled up the best smile she can as she answered, "Yeah." And it was believable, almost. "Luke's on the way as we speak, I vote for the new photographer to meet him at the lobby!" Kat raises her hands rather eagerly while the others were too unsure of what was happening. Theo didn't want to meet the vocalist face first, the other three doesn't want anything to ruin their best friend again—but then, Kat enthusiastically proposed the idea and left Theo frozen right outside of the office. "Oh, don't be scared, Theo. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see his old friend again." Kat nudged her encouragingly and went on her way, the other boys looking back in so much unsureness.