Chapter Two

Peter awoke to the sound of hushed whispers.

Peter blinked his eyes open to see Pepper cooing and talking to Tony who was apparently awake. It was then that Peter was reminded of last night and where he was. He had fallen asleep in the living room on top of Peter.

"He's so precious." Pepper cooed. Clearly she didn't know that Peter was awake.

"He was so scared last night, Pep," Tony said softly. Peter forced himself not to tense. "I wish I knew how to help him better."

"It looks like you helped him just fine, Tony." Pepper said simply. "He should probably wake up soon. He has school today."

"But he's so cute like this!" Tony whined. Peter blushed and decided that now was a good time to wake up. Peter yawned and stretched before opening his eyes wide and looking around. "Good morning sleepy-head." Tony said with a soft grin.

"Tony?" Peter asked, sitting up and feigning ignorance. "What's going on?"

"You have school today, sweetie." Pepper said, smiling fondly at him. "You might want to get ready. Breakfast is almost ready."

Peter looked at the nearest clock and his eyes widened comically wide. "OH MY GOSH! I'M GOING TO BE LATE!" he shouted, jumping off of the couch and rushing into his bedroom to get changed.

It was just as Peter was closing his door that he heard the hushed comment.

"I'm getting really worried about him, Pep. I don't know how to help him like this. I think Natasha may have been right. I think he might need professional help."

Peter was too much of a coward to hear the rest. Peter shut the door, a bitter taste in his mouth.

________________________________________________

"Okay bro, spill."

Peter looked up from his lunch to see Ned looming over him. His best friend had a concerned look on his face as he sat down next to Peter. Peter looked at him in confusion. "Spill what?" he asked.

"Whatever's been bothering you, obviously." Ned said. Peter opened his mouth to ask him how he knew he was upset when Ned stopped him once more. "Before you ask, I knew you were upset because you're my best friend. And my best friend happens to have a super-metabolism and you haven't even touched your lunch. So. Spill."

Peter sighed. "I had a nightmare last night," Peter said softly. Peter freezes, waiting for the inevitable pitying look. Instead Ned just urges him to continue. It's moments like these that Peter is reminded why Ned is his best friend. "Tony helped me and then we watched Lilo and Stitch until I fell asleep."

"Okay..." Ned said. "What's the problem here?"

"Do you think... I mean... am I moving too fast?" Peter asked. Ned just furrowed his brows, clearly not understanding what Peter meant. Peter sighed but elaborated. "I mean, I called him Dad. I mean, he was asleep so I don't think he heard it but I still said it."

Ned sighed. "Peter are you feeling guilty for accepting Tony as your Dad?" Peter said nothing. "Peter, you've known the Starks for almost a year now. You've been living with them for most of that time too, what with the co-parenting with May and everything. It's normal to think of them as your family."

Peter just glumly picked at his food. "But what about my other family?" he asked. "Do you think I'm betraying them?"

"Peter your feelings are yours." Ned said. "If you think of the Starks as your family then that's how you feel. If they truly love you, then they shouldn't be upset at you having more family. They should be concerned with you being happy. You shouldn't censor yourself to make others feel better. It'll just hurt everyone in the long run."