Chapter Ten

Peter's leg jiggled up and down, causing the table to bounce with him. He hadn't moved from his position since he'd got home from school. Pepper paced the length of the kitchen furiously, going back and forth from talking to the PR lawyers, Peter's school, and several different newspaper companies.

Peter's hand was gripped tightly around his wrist, a frown resting on his face. Bruce had mentioned that his healing factor was slowing down for some reason, and the proof of that was on his wrist. A small hand-print shaped bruise covered his wrist where an overzealous reporter had grabbed him.

Pepper had freaked when she saw it.

The semi-silence in the kitchen was broken when the elevator dinged, signalling May's arrival. Pepper had sent a car to pick up May the second Peter's identity had been leaked. May was going to be staying at the tower for a little while until everything was all sorted out.

They still didn't know who leaked his identity to the press---it was a very large secret that few people knew of---but Peter knew that Tony would rain hell on whoever did this.

"How are you holding up?" May asked, sitting down in the chair next to him. Peter shrugged, not really in the mood to speak. May just hummed and pulled him in for a hug. Peter buried his face in her shoulder, the comforting scent of her perfume making his eyes water. "It's going to be okay sweetie."

"Everyone knows," Peter mumbled. Peter heard Pepper's footsteps approach the table and sit down on the other side of him.

"Don't worry Peter," Pepper said, taking his free hand in hers. "We're going to sort everything out."

"What do you mean?" Peter asked, removing himself from the comfort of May's arms to look at Pepper in confusion.

"Well with your identity leaked to the press we're going to need to make an official statement," pepper said with a small frown. Peter's heart sped up.

"You mean... you're going to tell everyone the truth?" he asked. Pepper bit her lip.

"Do you not want people to know?" she asked, her voice small. Peter felt the guilt hit him full force and he quickly shook his head.

"No! No it's not that..." Peter looked at the ground. "I just don't want people to treat me differently." Peter sighed and wrapped his arms around himself. "Before I was just... Peter Parker the orphan. Now everyone is going to treat me..."

Pepper took both of Peter's hands in hers and gently lifted Peter's head so that he could make direct eye contact. Her warm gaze made Peter relax slightly. "Sweetheart," she said softly. "You're going to be fine. I promise that everything will be okay. If anyone treats you differently we'll deal with it together."

Peter sighed and nodded. "Okay..." he said. He took a deep breath. "How are we going to do this?" he asked.

"Press conference." Pepper said. "I'll have to set one up."

"What would he have to do?" May asked. "Would he need to prepare a speech or something because you know how Peter gets about speaking in front of crowds---"

"No, no," Pepper said with a soft chuckle. "We won't make Peter speak or anything. We'll probably just announce our son's safe return and ask for privacy."

"Ask?" Peter raised an eyebrow.

"Well Tony will definitely threaten to sue," Pepper smirked. "But I will ask politely. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Peter gave a hesitant smile and nodded. He didn't want to tell people the truth. Not really. It's not that he hasn't accepted who he is or who his parents are, it's more of how afraid Peter is of the reaction. Peter frowned just thinking about how school will change.