Chapter Seven

Peter woke up feeling refreshed. Peter smiled to himself when he realized that Dr. Stacy's advice had actually worked. Peter snuggled in deeper to his bed, the comforting sound of the train going past his window lulling him back to sleep.

For exactly three minutes.

"Peter! Wake up! I made breakfast!" May called. With those words Peter shot up, the sleepful haze disappearing. He speed walked into the kitchen, sticking his head in to make sure May wasn't in danger of burning the house down.

"Good morning May," Peter smiled, happy to see that May was actually cooking correctly. "Smells good in here!"

May grinned. "I know right! I should be a chef!"

"Maybe take it one day at a time," Peter said cheekily. May gasped in mock offense before shooing him out of the kitchen.

"Go! Get ready! Come back in fifteen minutes." she said. Peter nodded and turned to walk back down the hall, only stopping when May called his name. He turned around to see her poking her head out of the kitchen with a grin. "And Peter? Take a shower."

Peter chuckled to himself as he got ready for the day.

Peter was not looking forward to school. The second he got there Ned was at his side instantly, demanding to know if he was okay. "Ned, I'm fine, I promise." Peter said, waving off his concerns. Ned refused to accept that.

"You just passed out!" Ned cried. "And everyone was freaking out and there was blood... How is any of that okay?!"

"It was all taken care of," Peter assured him. "Bruce fixed up my thigh and helped me with blood. Ned, I swear everything is okay now."

Ned frowned. "Never do that again!" he hissed, pressing his finger into Peter's chest. Peter winced. "I was terrified! You are my best friend, Peter! I can't keep watching you almost die!"

Peter sighed and pulled Ned in for a tight bro hug. Ned just clutched Peter, and Peter frowned when he felt Ned trembling against him. "Ned?" Peter asked. "Are you okay?" Ned shook his head against Peter's head and Peter's frown deepened. "What's wrong?"

"That was really scary." Ned admitted. "I thought you were going to die and it would be all my fault."

"What? Ned it wasn't your fault---"

"I was the one who stitched you up," Ned argued. "And I didn't tell anyone you were shot! That's crazy!"

"I asked you not to." Peter said lamely. Ned shook his head.

"As your best friend I should know not to listen to your stupid ideas when you're hurt." Ned said. Peter laughed. "Next time something like that happens, I'm going to tell your dad."

"Okay." Peter nodded, knowing that it would be impossible to change Ned's mind.

The rest of the day was pretty normal. Thanks to the incredible pain pills that Bruce had prescribed him, Peter was able to focus and make up everything that he had missed from yesterday. He was even able to pass off his collapsing as a passing sickness.

When the bell rang to signal the end of the school day, Peter was happy to be able to get back to the apartment. Peter nodded at Happy who was sitting conspicuous by his car. Happy nodded as Peter got onto his school bus.

Peter frowned when he felt his phone buzz. "Hello?" he asked, pulling it out of his pocket. The caller ID read, Dr. Banner.

"Peter?" Bruce said. "Hey, Peter do you think you have a minute?"

"Er, yeah?" Peter said, walking to the subway. "What's up?"

"I was going over your blood work and I ran some tests," Bruce said. Peter scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion. "I noticed something strange."