Chapter Seventeen

"You are a stupid child." Wolf said, sitting on the chair next to Peter's bed, a heavy scowl set deep into his face. Peter chuckled.

"Good to see you too." he said. Wolf's frown only deepened.

"How could you not say anything?" he demanded. "How could you keep us in the dark about this?"

"Not like you can do anything." Peter shrugged. Wolf snarled and it reminded Peter of the time he came up with his nickname. It sounded almost identical to the snarl he made at those idiot agents.

"We are going to fix you." Wolf said, not a hint of doubt in his voice. "You don't get to die."

"Is that an order?" Peter teased, hoping to make light of the situation.

Wolf narrowed his eyes. "Yes."

They sat in silence for a little while after that. The only noise coming from the curtains as they billowed against the light breeze. Peter had convinced Bruce to crack open the window just a little bit, claiming it was stuffy in the room.

Peter was officially on bed rest for the next foreseeable ever. Peter wanted to fight against it, but one look at Tony's face stopped him. Peter felt his chest clench with guilt. He was barely hanging on. The man had thrown himself into his research, frantically searching for a way to help him. He also refused to leave Peter's bedside. Peter had begun to find comfort in the spatic clicking of the keyboard as Tony worked.

It was actually pretty strange for Peter to be alone.

Well, without Tony.

(He was never alone, now. Someone was always with him and it made him want to tear his hair out.)

Tony had suddenly, and without warning, left the room. He pressed a kiss to Peter's temple and told him he'd be back later and then exited the med bay. He'd done it just as Peter was about to fall asleep, and when he opened his eyes again, Wolf was already in the room. Peter didn't know how much time had passed since his Dad had left, but judging by the sunlight, it'd been a couple of hours.

"Where is everyone?" Peter finally asked when the silence became unbearable.

"Away."

"But where?" Peter asked. Wolf crossed his arms and leaned back against the chair.

"In a meeting." he said. Peter raised an eyebrow.

"What kind of meeting?" he asked.

"Avengers meeting." Wolf said. "They'll be back later."

"Bet Tony loved that." Peter scoffed. Wolf smirked.

"He threatened to kill Fury four times on his way out of the tower," he said. "It was very entertaining."

__________________________________________________

"Why am I here?" Tony demanded, slamming his hand on the table. The other Avengers appeared to be just as angry as him. "This better be good or so help me I will lock every single S.H.I.E.L.D computer and change the passwords so you can't bother me again!"

"Sit down, Stark." Fury said, his arms crossed as he looked at the man with annoyance. "The sooner you cooperate, the sooner this will be over."

Tony huffed but sank into the chair. "Why did you call us here?" he demanded once more.

"Because Hydra needs to be taken care of." Fury said.

"I thought you said the Avengers couldn't help with that?" Steve asked, looking at Fury in confusion.