Member Profile: Jai

Wattpad Username: -desolations

Current Work in Progress: MONARCHS

Preferred Pronouns: She/her

Age: 15

More About Jai:

Why did you join Wattpad? 

When I first joined wattpad, it was honestly just to find more books to read and I had heard a lot about it at that point, and was willing to give it a try.

Why did you join the Elite Community? 

I've been looking for a small community of writers for a while now, and I when I saw that the Elite Community advertised itself this way, I was definitely interested. Big writing communities get too stressful sometimes, and then there are people who just show up every once in a while to promote their work, and I'm just not looking for that. I'm looking for a real sense of community I guess.

How would you best describe your writing style? Design style?

I'm a big fan of long sentences with millions of (properly used) commas. I write a lot of internal thought - probably more than actions or dialogue. I think my characters matter to me more than the plot, and so, my writing is really character-driven

When did you discover your love for writing? For designing?

I think when I was much younger - maybe around nine. I used to write paper and pencil style, and while I never finished anything I wrote back then, I think it really laid the foundation for my like of writing today. I would have these ideas in my head and think "woah, I've gotta write this down" so I did.

Are you a first, second or third person groupie? If you're a graphic artist, what's your go-to color scheme?

Third person all the way!

What's your dream job?

I want to work in the field of psychology in the future. Not sure what exactly I want to do - be a clinical psychologist, do studies, etc. but I'm certain that's what I want to do. Even if I could make money off of being a writer and live off of that, it's still something I'd want to do.

If you were stranded on an island and could only read one thing, what book would you choose? 

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. I read it some years ago and it just hit me in the most profound way. It's not a traditionally happy book, but something about it just feels so real. I think about it from time to time, and it's like "woah".

Be honest. Are you a dog or a cat kinda person?

A cat person. I adore cats - they're warm and cozy and just overall adorable.

 What movie can you watch over and over again? 

Surf's Up, which is basically this movie about surfing penguins in Antarctica. I honestly used to watch it every day when I was younger and it's just a very sentimental movie, despite being meant for 8 year olds

What's one thing you hope to get out of this community? 

A supporting group of writing friends, honestly. I don't know many people in my offline life that write, so I never really talk to them about it. Having other people to talk to about not just my writing, but writing in general, would be great