0.03 | How Is That Even Possible ?

Not surprisingly, Cassie, the lead singer's mind was sent spinning by setting over-achievable targets. The target of taking roller coaster notes like Celine Dion was never meant to be a piece of cake for anyone whose throat wasn't trained enough to hit the high notes and drop to falsetto smoothly. As a result, she had to step down from the stage on the pretext of quenching her thirst. The pause that she took was just to get her normal voice back, which was more like a dying mule's cry according to Ruby.

Surprisingly, Ruby planted her right foot forward and filled the spot smartly. Even as she stood in the spotlight, her cheeks rose high in happiness. She was facing a gulf of disbelief by watching people who walked hither and thither sparing glances at her. Among them were some hot blonde dudes pointing at her. Maybe it was the dress playing center of gravity. Or whatever.

Being a part of a choir was not an independent choice, rather she was forced by factors like- poverty, shelter crisis, and parentless condition. The choir had ten members including Emily and herself. These two never stood a chance to take the center and face the audience. They only provided the backup vocals from standing behind the other so-called gems.

By the end of the song, she realized that everyone had flocked toward the buffet lines, but she was sure about someone standing in the nook who had kept his eyes skinned for her for a very long time.

Before Ruby could direct her gaze at the unknown's face, Emily bounded over to her, their faces pressed together. Her movement, not wanting to scare her more than to surprise Ruby.

"You were so good. I felt like a proud sister rooting for you from behind." Her large gray orbs fixed into Ruby's widened ones. She was so rarely told by others that she was a brilliant singer, apart from Emily who never missed a chance to underline the fact. Oddly, it was just for a second she felt a shiver-giving discomfort when Emily's untrimmed fingernail pressed into her skin.

"Better than that dud, Cassie Lacee?" Ruby's body movements were rife with confidence. "So, how much did I score?"

"If there was any number," Emily crooned and clasped Ruby's hand tightly.

Ruby turned a suspicious glare at Emily's mannerism that was subjected to excessive possessiveness. She pulled her back, raising their laced fingers in objection. "What are we at?"

"I suspect myself to be jealous of any boy asking for your hand. Seeing you in this red, hot dress would turn any guy crazy. I just don't want to share you with anyone." Emily was consistent in her resolve. Her eyes grew big as she went back at her words and mentally screened them. She cowered down and Emily mounted on her as they both shared loud laughter.

"No, I didn't mean as lovers." Emily's cheeks flamed out with embarrassment.

"Yikes," Ruby spoke in her temporarily cracking voice taking the boy as the subject, "You see, no guy will ever leap forward to take my hand. Once he sees where and how I survive each day in that dark and high well lodged in some dirty corner of the world, Seattle will become an existential threat for him." Nevertheless, she resumed laughing; she had to find a reason to laugh, smile, or live if said in the right terms. And right now, since they were in a cheerful ambiance, it was easy. "Gawd, I think if I continue to laugh like this I'll soon build six pack."

They got down off the rostrum and the earlier thought slipped off her mind like a bride's nightie.

While all the other members stayed together like a herd of sheep with Horan as their herder, the two of them whisked away without wanting anyone to sit on their heads while they had their share of food. They showed themselves to Horan from a distance only to keep him cognizant of their presence.