0.60 | Aren't You Happy About The Revolution?

Ruby got her dressing changed by a young nurse, who revised the old pages of how her mother took care of Mrs. Warner when she was pregnant with her first child namely, Elizabeth. Or her.

She couldn't comprehend, what went on for eternity, for she had other important things buzzing around her head. Since she had always held Mrs Warner in high esteem, it was going to be a very difficult yet heartbreaking task to reveal her identity, even to herself.

She fixed the deep neckline of her lemon color tea dress and at least remembered to mutter a small thanks before leaving for Mrs Warner's room.

She took in a deep breath and did a little prep talk while gyrating in front of the closed door, curling her fingers in a wrecking ball. "I can do this. I'm a warrior. Girl power. Yes." She knocked on the door briskly and pushed it forward in another moment, lacking patience. With the valor of a fighter that could tear the throat of a person, her knee-jerk statement intended to throw a powerful impact on the lady, "Mrs Warner, I have something to tell you─"

"A very pleasant morning El, feeling better now?"

Surprisingly, as she heard her greeting coming in a sophisticated way, she looked down with a crippling dejection. "Morning Mrs. Warner."

Mrs Warner came out of her boudoir, wrapped in a wave of aggressive fragrance. Today, she was dressed in the dark shades of maroon, Ruby effortlessly interlinked it with the news she was going to burst out on her. Death is dark, like her clothes.

Mrs Warner flopped on the side of her bed with a jewelry box. She opened it very slowly and held each metal hoop, wondering which would match her fit.

"Yes. I'm alright. And thanks for sending the nurse to help me. I'm indebted to you," Ruby professed, stressing at the last sentence as she crossed her arms against her chest and tapped her feet. She wanted to zero in on the serious matter that she had brought with her.

"I wonder why would my own child thank me so formally for taking care of herself? Anyway, you do have something to tell me? Don't hesitate. Go on."

Now, Ruby somewhat basked in relief that the older had read her mind and that she didn't have to start it on her own. She exhaled. "Mrs Warner, everything you know about me is a lie. The Elizabeth you know and probably love is a big lie. My name is Ruby. I sing at parties. Somebody told me I looked very familiar to Elizabeth. So, I thought I should go for it. I was simply frustrated with my miserable life." Her voice trailed in a broken whisper, "I wanted to become rich."

Contrary to Ruby's expectation, Mrs Warner chuckled and slipped a thin golden ring on her engagement finger. "This is my mother's ring. My father proposed to her with this simple gold ring back when they were in high school." She giggled and narrowed her eyes at the stunned girl. "He bought it on a lease. Little by little, when he started earning enough, he bought her the entire jewelry set."

Ruby's anger was so predictable and consistent, that it was almost down to a pattern. She whisper-yelled, "Mrs Warner, aren't you going to tell on me after hearing this bitter confession?

"It was not as bitter as it could have been if Mary hadn't told me about this earlier," she answered with her hands inside that box. Ruby reached the realization that there wasn't an inch of disturbance in her eye movements, and so was her formidable concentration. "She was right."

Ruby rubbed her face and throat, a sudden sinking feeling in her pit. "If this is your way of self-assurance that I'm your daughter, then you are living in the wrong world. You are afraid that you might lose a lookalike of Elizabeth, isn't it?"

Mrs. Warner took her by her shoulders to make her sit on the grand upholstered chair, before the even grander vanity. There was gold dust sprinkled all over the essential beauty items that were poised on the surface. The lukewarm lighting did give relaxation to her tough stature.