0.30 | I Love (You) Children

"Ugh!"

Joseph jumped slightly and so did his royal blue velvety file which he was holding, as he saw black-nailed fingers and an arm wrapped up in red sleeve jutting out from behind the Gothic pillar.

Ruby appeared in front of him, plucking her lips upwards. "Did I scare a six-foot-two inches cavalier who claims to have a heart of steel? I actually can't believe that. My bad, I should've recorded it on my phone."

She pouted at her phone with disappointment-bloated eyes.

Joseph angled his head after scanning the surrounding, giving a tight-lipped smile born out of satire remark, "Heard you made some new friends. But don't forget your goal. Remember, you have to swing the sword once, and with precision."

Pursing her lips, Ruby reached up to him and fixed his collars, knowing that was the only possible way of coming closer to him. She whispered against his lips, "Feeling ruined, disgraced, or maybe covetous. Say it. You don't know how desperate I'm to hear you speak."

Nothing happened.

Ruby landed back on her feet and noticed that he had the sleeves of his crisp white shirt rolled up neatly and his thick nerves accentuated his manliness. He was angry. Or pretending to be.

"For now, I'm feeling squeamish and want you to stand at an arm's distance from me. I've showered nicely and would suggest you go clean your body first. A proper ten minutes shower to be exact with the duration." His husky voice laid more stress on the unnecessary cleanliness quotient that reminded her of the time when he visited her place ─ the reeking neighborhood for the first time and there hung a tale.

She bit her upper lip at the distant memory.

"Now, I hate this neatnik version of yours." She didn't kill her urge to sniff her underarms in front of Joseph who instantly whipped his head in the other direction. Ruby and etiquette could never be best friends; not even friends in the first place, he thought to himself.

"I don't stench with sweat. Stop lying Jose . . . you are being extra cautious. Be a daring man and take me in your embrace."

That being said, Ruby distended her arms and took baby steps, threatening to squeeze him in her lanky, damp arms. Joseph pulled her away at once by gripping her arms. "You are so disobedient at times. Stay away from me, you portable germ!"

"Portable germ. Not bad. So I was just thinking to . . ." Ruby stared at the aquarium for a couple of seconds, nodding furiously. ". . . to make you another portable germ Mr Holden. Decided."

She yanked her body against Joseph's, forcefully latching her one thigh around his torso ─ although she couldn't reach his level, she managed to plant a stronger loop of her arms around his neck.

Silent laughing and giggling filled the corner of the dark hall, where there were no signs of people like─ her depressed brother, Mark; dull and worn-out workers; ghostly servants; billionaire siblings, or her best friend, Tasher.

Ruby clenched his collar tightly. Exceptionally soon she began to feel his muscle ripped through his shirt as he turned her around, interlocking her head between his arm.

"Ow! Joseph! Gotta Lose your grip please!" She tapped his elbow frequently. Whereas, Joseph romped her down, relaxing his arms and releasing her for the old times' sake. "Okay! I'll go and hit the shower."

"Good. Anyways, I've something important to tell you."

***

Mary who was examining every servant's work with razor-like sharp eyes behind her squared spectacles strode through the hallway. As it happened, she glimpsed a wide robust figure of someone chit-chatting with Elizabeth who looked so joyous in that secluded area. She pushed back her glasses and strained her eyes at the couple.