0.32 | How It Feels To Betray Your Best Friend

With a stream of workers ahead and behind, Joseph and Ruby mapped their route to gate number two through a hollow tunnel. A flat, radium board of exit shone in the darkness. A veil of gloomy clouds spread across the sky proclaimed a harsh thunderstorm was about to hit Seattle and that everyone should gear up for some urban flooding.

Mrs Warner looked at her with a deep well of love. "So, was your day eventful, Elizabeth, did you meet the children?"

"Yes, it was. Theirs was lunchtime so I couldn't interact with them, but Joseph showed me around. He's so good---" Before she got impaled on her statement, she added, "I wish to come here again." On the last note, her eyes captured Joseph's glued ones.

He was smiling. Finally. Ruby was making up for the pocketful of lost stares until Mrs Warner's sharp accent budged in.

"Sure, my love. Save that for next time, for now..." Mrs Warner focused on her face and added, "...we need to get back to the mansion and get a day spa arrangement for you," Mrs Warner asserted and dialed someone's number. Her perfectly manicured nails danced on the phone screen.

"Honestly, a quick shower will do it," Ruby said in a low tone, raising her hand and then slowly sticking it across her side in obedience.

"No. A day spa is a must. After all, you didn't get to rest much." Mrs Warner flapped her hand before walking three steps ahead.

In the meantime, Ruby found Joseph standing parallel to her. "Why would you decline it? I'm sure your inner Ruby would've never said no to a free personal care treatment. I fail to get this."

"Hmmph...as soon as I get an answer to it I'll inform you. Something doesn't feel right Joseph." Ruby faced him fully with a formidable crease on her forehead. This tension was by far different and a serious one.

What something?

"Well then your something will never feel right, I tell you," Joseph went straight as he construed the word in some other sense, precisely in a joking sense. Ruby who couldn't define the status of this sudden feeling of something burning in her gut, wanted to forget it and move on. But it was kind of hard. She was digging below the surface of her thoughts, and her chest was growing tight.

Mrs Warner returned. Simultaneously, Joseph motioned his hand outwards, "I'll go and see if everyone is ready."

The predictions turned correct as it started drizzling. Ruby placed her head against the SUV's window and saw rain droplets wafting down. It was working though, the slight vibrations that occurred interrupted her peace of mind, here and there. Every time the light piano music being played tried to soothe her nerves, emerged a thunderous lightning sound that overpowered it.

Much to their horror, the car engine stopped running while driving. The SUV came to a halt and everyone pulled away from their thoughts to see what happened to the car. "Why did you stop the car?" asked Mrs Warner to the cherubic, slightly plump driver.

"Sorry Ma'am, I think the torque converter has failed."

Before getting off, Joseph called the other driver and stopped the other car that was just behind them. Both of the men were out, getting wet in the heavy rain. The driver lifted the car's hood. At the same time, Joseph announced, "The problem is in the engine. He's saying it will take some time. It's better to switch cars."

"Okay . . . is it a matter of serious concern?" asked Mrs Warner.

"No. Not at all," Joseph straightened his back and waved the car to come a little more forward. "It has come. You two can go now."

"And Joseph, what about you? Aren't you coming with us?" Ruby yelled from her seat worriedly.

"I can't abandon the car like that. Brandon has contacted the mechanic. He'll come to pick up the car. But then somebody has to stay with him..." he asserted sternly.