𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐍𝐄𝐃

She walked towards the wooden platform with her head high in the air, as if she still had her dignity despite the constant humiliation thrown towards her by the audience in front. The crowd jeers at the sight of her in white, her ragged clothes fit for a peasant.

Her bare feet kissed the rough stone floors of the park as the jagged surface tears her flesh apart, drawing blood; though she did not mind the pain, she had other things to think about.

It was clear that her current attire did not match her figure. She held a dignified aura that exudes authority, as if she was of noble descent. She was, but that fact will now remain forgotten as she looks on towards the crowds, staring at the men and women of the kingdom.

Was she that popular, that her public execution had more crowds than the kingdom's annual Spirit Festival?

"(Name) Stahal." A man in an expensive, regal attire speaks loudly, his deep voice resonating throughout the audience, catching everyone's attention. "You are here to pay for your crimes, facing imminent death as a punishment for you and your family's treason against the Kingdom of Aureola."

He smirked after his announcement, the corner of his lips turning upwards in an amused manner. The crowd cheers him on, or rather, they wanted to make this faster to go on about their busy day. Despite the noise, (Name) remained composed.

It's really hard to believe that I was about to marry this bastard and become Queen of this wretched country.

She knew of the truth, regardless of the accusations thrown against her family's name. The Stahal family was one of the pillars of the kingdom, who had a significant standing in the dukedom that supported the royal family for several generations.

However, the Stahal family also had the wealth and power that could rival the royal family, so it was no surprise when the other aristocrats felt threatened enough formed a coup d'etat to frame the Stahals of treachery.

"For the Aureola Kingdom to be at peace, you shall be publicly beheaded on the account of your crimes to set an example to our people."

The Crown Prince declared, his voice firm. A free hand the stray bangs away from his face as his black, short hair sways with the wind. (Name) sees a woman beside him, a head shorter than the prince, staring at her with a blank look. Yet, her eyes smiled, as though they had been waiting on the day of (Name)'s beheading.

Her dress, plain yet regal and beautiful, also swayed with the strong breeze. The woman's hand reached out to the Crown Prince's gloved one, her manicured fingers perfectly fits within her partner's large hand.

It was sickening sight. (Name) still kept her composure, she wasn't going to give what her enemies wanted — in fact, she'll give them the opposite. Her blank, apathetic look only made the woman frown, Ah, the bitch had thought wrong.

Edith Ansalm was (Name)'s cousin, one of Viscount Ansalm's beloved daughters and heir to his fur business. Seeing that the witch had seduced the Crown Prince into murdering the entire Stahal family made (Name) sick to her stomach, she should've had known her ill intentions.

I showed you kindness and acceptance since the day we were acquainted, and this is what you repay me?

Although her mind was full of rage and regret, (Name) did her best to act as though she had lost nothing, choosing to keep her calm, expressionless facade as she kept staring at the two.

The Crown Prince tightened his grip around Edith's hand, and the woman flinches in pain.

It was clear that her look made them uncomfortable. (Name) almost snorted, pathetic.

It was the day she was going to die and here she was, amused at her enemies. It was quite funny to see them like this. (Name) gifts the Crown Prince with a glance as a burly masked man as big as a bear pushes her away towards a stone slab — should the bastard be eaten by guilt, if he knew the truth behind my family's doom?

He kicked her legs for her to kneel in front of the stone. (Name) cringed as the executioner places her head roughly against the coarse slab. It was absolutely disgusting.

The blood of the damned has dried, and the stench of decaying flesh reeked, (Name) had to stop herself from vomiting.

Ah, the smell of death. (Name) thought, ignoring the harsh treatment of another man holding her head in place. Father has also died in this very platform, my mother was poisoned and my brother vanished into thin air.

Did they think of me as they laid on their death beds — as I am doing now?

(Name) closed her eyes. Although she could not see, she could feel the executioner readying his axe as the Crown Prince's gloved hand high up in the air, a forthcoming signal for her doom.

If I have only one regret—

The hand moves down, as did the executioner's axe. With those movements, the crowd held their breaths, anticipating her end.

"Off with her head!"

— is that I truly loved you, Asa Primeviere.

(Name) blacked out.