#17 - The Spring of Break-Ups

Chapter 17 - The Spring of Break-Ups
published: Wednesday, 15 April 2020

Percy glanced up as the restaurant door's bell jingled to see a familiar redhead ducking inside.

"Hey, Percy," Rachel breathed. "Sorry that I had reschedule for dinner. My head was killing me this morning."

Suppressing a grin, Percy feigned innocence. "Yeah, that's such a surprise. You weren't at all drunk last night."

Rachel chuckled. "Shush, you." She picked up a menu and scanned the words. "What are you getting?"

"Ravioli, I think?" Percy shrugged. "What about you? I know you're allergic to shellfish. Maybe the pasta?"

"Lasagne," Rachel amended.

After they'd put in their orders, Percy watched uncertainly as Rachel shrugged off her coat and turned on him with a serious look.

"Okay, Silena told me I shouldn't do this at the start of the date, but I think we need time to talk about it," Rachel sighed. "I'm breaking up with you, Percy."

It was like someone had flash-frozen his mind. Left stunned, Percy stared at her in disbelief. "I-w-what?"

"It's not because of you," Rachel protested. "Well, not because of your personality or anything — you're funny, sweet and the best boyfriend I could've asked for, Percy."

"Is there a reason?" Percy asked helplessly. "Sorry, it's just a little..."

"Out of the blue,"  Rachel finished apologetically. She paused. "There is a reason. A rather obvious one at that."

Percy looked at her expectantly.

"You don't know?" Rachel voiced incredulously.

"Rach, I have no idea what you're talking about," Percy said, bewildered.

Rachel returned the stare. "It's because you like Annabeth."

Percy's mouth fell open as he was left ogling her speechlessly.

"Don't tell me you haven't seen it," Rachel snorted. "Percy — it's so obvious."

"I-I don't," Percy stammered. "We're just friends!" 

"Maybe you are," Rachel shrugged. "But you have feelings for her that go beyond that." She cast a look of concern upon him. "I'm not mad or anything — hell, I even like Annabeth, in fact, you guys would make a nice couple — but I just don't want to be with someone who's in love with someone else."

"Woah, woah, woah," Percy interrupted. "In love? Okay, Rachel, now that's just insane."

"I think it's true," Rachel said nonchalantly. "I think you know it too, and you're just too afraid to admit that you like this girl more than you've ever liked anyone before."

Percy opened his mouth and then closed it again. The facts were laying themselves out in his brain.

That weird feeling when Annabeth mentioned her date with Brady. How easy it was to be around her. Last night had been a party, and talking in the kitchen had been the best part. The notion that he hated studying, but enjoyed it with Annabeth more than a casual dinner with Rachel.

Percy groaned. "Oh my God, I like Annabeth!" He buried his face in his hands. "What am I going to do?"

He could hear Rachel trying to stifle her laughter.

"Mean," he said accusatorially, looking up.

Rachel's expression lapsed into a smile. "It's just funny to see you this worked up over a girl."