5. The End

[ 7 years and 6 hours after chapter 50 ]

"So." Percy paused, jumping onto Annabeth's couch. "Do I win the prize for best boyfriend or what?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes, but she couldn't peel the grin off her face. "Yes. Fine."

He laughed. "Now that's what I'm talking about."

Annabeth kicked off her heels, setting her bag down on the counter. She glanced up at the picture on her mantle. It was of her and Percy, lounging under that tree at school. He was asleep in her lap and she had a book propped up in front of her face. Leo had snapped that picture more than 7 years ago.

Annabeth swallowed. The bag she'd brought to the graduation was her one nice bag. It was just big enough to hold the million things she couldn't live without and small enough to be considered appropriate at a black-tie event.

Her phone, keys, charger, notebook and pens were in inside. And right at the bottom, where she'd made sure Percy wouldn't be able to find it, was a ring box smaller than her fist.

About six months ago, Annabeth began to look at Percy differently. It wasn't much of a difference, in fact, it was so minuscule she almost didn't pick up on it.

She began looking at him like he was the one she was going to spend the rest of her life with. Sure, they'd been together for a long time now - 8 years. Percy was her best friend, her other half, but then, he also became the person she wanted to marry.

And she waited impatiently for it to happen. 8 years - surely Percy would pop the question. But he never indicated even the slightest interest in getting married. In taking the next step together.

So Annabeth took things into her own hands, dragging Helen along with her to shop for rings over her Christmas break. It was near impossible to choose one; Annabeth was only ever going to do this once, and she wanted to do it right.

But eventually she did. Annabeth wasn't sure what the protocol was when a girl proposed to a guy. There should be more media coverage on it, really. He probably wouldn't wear it - Percy was much more of a wedding ring than an engagement ring type of guy.

The ring wasn't anything too fancy - a silver band with small inset diamonds that curved along the left edge. But the inside of the ring was inscribed with "I love you".

Now that was the most important thing to know, right?

"What do you want to do?" Percy called from the living room. "Everything's packed. We leave for New York tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the apartment's ready so we can pick up the keys immediately-"

"Slow down," Annabeth laughed, strolling into the room. The box dug into her leg, sitting in her pocket and feeling like it weighed five tonnes.

"Just trying to be efficient," Percy reminded. He got up off the couch, packing up some of the smaller figurines into the last few empty boxes.

"Exactly what I look for in a man." Annabeth walked up to him, glancing at him. He was just Percy, but he was also Percy.

She took a deep breath. "Percy," Annabeth managed.

"Mhm?"