Prologue - Death 死

My name is Yamada Kaito. I'm 16 years old. My house was located in the southwest section of Tokyo, in a quiet neighborhood, and I didn't go to school. Instead, I worked night-in and day-out, leveling up and optimizing my character builds well into the next morning. I drank sodas and energy drinks to keep myself awake all night.

I was in bed by 8 AM and usually woke up sometime in the evening. After making sure all of my videogame progress was saved, I quickly fell fast asleep once I got into bed. Most of the time, I don't particularly have a good rest and I had a hard time waking up. I definitely wouldn't call this lifestyle healthy, but at the very least, I did my best to keep my room clean.

I was a person who wished to live a quiet life. I took care not to trouble myself with responsibilities because I preferred to live a life of self-indulgence. That was how I dealt with society, and I knew that was what brought me happiness. Although, I sometimes had to journey to the outside world to eat, drink, and acquire newly released games and anime figures.

Like any other night, I was slouched in my chair with my eyes glued to the computer screen. I was playing one of my favorite games at the time—an MMORPG.

After messing with some newcomers for a while, I decided to join a group of players to clear a dungeon as part of a major quest. With the group, I headed into the boss room, ready to finally complete the quest and gather the reward.

The dungeon crawl had gone smoothly so far aside from the occasional lesser-skilled player going down and needing to be revived.

Since this was part of a major questline, our opponent gave us the classic bad guy monologue when we entered his domain. I had seen, read, and heard the same type of speech hundreds and hundreds of times before. He went on about how he never expected us to make it this far, and how we could never hope to defeat him, and some other stuff.

"I wish online games would let you skip the dialogue. This is boring," I muttered.

As the speech was wrapping up, I readied my fingers on the keyboard and sat up in my chair. As soon as the speech ended and our avatars were able to move, several players unleashed their attacks on the boss before they had a chance to put up their defense.

Meanwhile, I stayed behind and saved my attacks for the waves of weaker enemies who were soon to appear. Once they did, I used a couple of potions to boost my speed and attack power to defeat as many enemies as I could and rack up my kill count.

The rest of the group chipped away at the boss' health until the big bad was just a few hits away from dying. That was when I rushed in and dealt the final blow.

At the end of the boss fight, I was given my reward and received the bonuses for achieving the highest kill count and dealing the last kit on the boss.

Afterward, I decided I was done playing for that night. I reached into the mini-fridge under my desk for another soda, but there was no more.

"Where did all my soda go?"

I looked around and saw all the empty cans scattered around my desk—made visible by the faint blue coming through the window blinds.

"Oh."

I decided to head down to the nearby convenience store to get another pack of soda.

"Maybe I should get two... or three... I just don't want to have to keep making return trips every other morning."

Before I left home, I changed into a light grey t-shirt and some dark grey sweatpants. It was just as comfortable as my tracksuit but presentable enough that it wasn't obvious that I was a complete shut-in NEET.