Chapter 1 - Kaito's First Day

The clip-clopping of horse hooves followed by the creaking of a wooden carriage passed me by on the stone-paved road.

"This... This is it! Another world! I'm really in another world! There's no cars, no bikes, or power lines anywhere!" In my excitement, I had begun talking to myself louder than usual. "Am I really going to go on quests with real adventurers and battle real monsters?"

The buildings that lined both sides of the street were built from brick, stone, and wood. If I didn't have my new cloak concealing them, my clothes would have thrown off the fantasy setting.

"This is amazing! What should I do first?" I asked myself aloud before lowering my voice. "Wait... Aqua described this world as if it were a fantasy game, right? So if it's similar to that, then I should probably find an adventurer's guild."

An adventurer's guild was a place that supported adventurers and allowed them to take up quests and gather rewards. It was a staple of fantasy video games. With that in mind, I set out to find the guild.

»–Later–»

I must have spent around half an hour trying to find the adventurers guild. By the end of my search, I was beginning to think that this town didn't even have an adventurers guild. All the excitement from earlier vanished as I continued to look. Eventually, I gave up on trying to find the guildhall myself and asked a passing stranger if they would point me in the right direction.

"You're looking for the adventurers guild, huh? Well, if you're asking where it is, then you must be from 'round here."

"Y-Yeah... I come from a very far away land." I paused before quickly adding, "I've come in the hopes of becoming an adventurer."

"In that case, the adventurer's guild is just the street behind you."

I turned to where the stranger pointed. It was a large establishment that anyone could recognize. I had passed it several times while looking for it.

I let out a deep sigh. "Thank you..."

The stranger gave a quick chuckle before saying, "You're welcome." They then continued on their way.

"That was surprisingly easy," I said to myself while wiping some sweat off my forehead. "That was my first interaction with a stranger in real life for... who knows how long."

I prepared myself for what was inside as I came to the front steps of the guildhall.

An adventurers guild would certainly be a place for some dangerous characters. Some of which might find trouble with an unfamiliar face.

The fragrance of food drifted out through the doors of the guildhall. At the front step, I paused, took a deep breath, then entered.

"Welcome! If you're looking for quests, they're at the counter, or take a seat if you're here to eat."

A waitress surprised me with a warm welcome. At the same time, a few of the adventurers already inside turned toward me when I opened the doors. None of them seemed to have any ill intent. Still, I avoided any eye contact with anyone as I made my way straight to the shortest line at the counter.

The pretty lady who worked as the receptionist greeted me. "Good morning. How may I help you?"

Shit, I have to talk again.

"U-Um, I, I want to become an adventurer. A-Actually, I traveled quite a long distance to find an adventurers guild." I pointed to the side with both hands for no reason.

"I see. There will be a registration fee. Is that okay?"

"Yeah. Wait, a registration fee?"

Nervous chills shot throughout my body.