Chapter 7 - Kaito and the Skill Hunt

The morning after the cabbage hunt, Kazuma and I had just woken up and were talking just outside of our stables.

"Hey Kaito, you were at level six the last time I asked you, right?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"What level are you at now?"

I took out my adventurer card.

"I am at level nine."

"So we both rose three levels after the cabbage quest then. I'm at level five now."

The numbers sounded questionable, but I paid no mind to it. Kazuma, however...

"...Why did our levels go up? We only captured those cabbages, right? We didn't defeat them, so why did we level up? And why do cabbages yield so much experience?"

Uh oh, Kazuma's thinking too much about the intricacies of this world.

"Hey, don't think about it. I found that it's best not to question how this world works."

Kazuma thought about it for a second.

"That's actually some good advice, Kaito."

After that, we started heading to the guild hall. Along the way, we stopped at a clothing store. I suspected that Kazuma wanted to get new clothes since Aqua and I were talking about how his tracksuit threw off the fantasy setting. When Kazuma was done picking out his clothes, he paid for them using the money he got out of Chris yesterday.

We arrived at the guild hall.

"Woah, I can barely recognise you," commented Darkness.

"You finally look the part of an adventurer," added Megumin.

"Did I not look like an adventurer? Did I look suspicious before?" asked Kazuma.

"Yeah, you kinda did."

"Sigh... Thanks Kaito."

"No problem, Kazuma."

As Kazuma let out another disgruntled sigh, I was recognized by another adventurer.

"Hey Kaito! Over here!"

He called me over to the quest board.

"Hey, y-you! What's up?"

I had seen this guy a couple times when I told my adventuring stories, but I couldn't think up a name.

"After the emergency quest, me and my party were able to learn some new skills. We're just having a quick breakfast before heading off on a new quest," said the guy.

"That's right! I should probably learn some new skills myself now that I have three new skill points to spend. I don't suppose you could teach me one of your skills, could you?"

"Yeah. I'm sure one of us knows a skill or two that you could learn. Does your pal over there need a skill too?"

"Oh, Kazuma? Yeah, I'm sure he could use one."

"Great! After I pick out a quest, we'll see what skills we can teach you before we leave."

After thanking the guy, I went back to the table where the rest of my party was seated.

"Hey Kazuma."

"Yes, I'm Kazuma."

"That guy over there said that his party's willing to teach us some skills since we rose two levels."

"Huh? First you give me good advice and now this? I'm glad you're being helpful for a change."

Kazuma patted my shoulder.