Arc I (2) - 550 AD

Lizbeth says yes.

She doubts firstly, and tells her friend that the lady doesn't have to, that she's just a peasant without any knowledge about royal matters. Jehanne grasps both her hands tightly and tells her that it doesn't matter, that she just wants the tallest girl around, that she would be sunshine illuminating the dull stone walls.

Lizbeth tears up a little.

And she says yes.

The young girl tears up again once she sees the magnificent castle that Jehanne has never really called home. She opens her eyes wide as her best friends tours her around, murmuring the stories of the paintings, the statues, the carpets. She gasps at the sight of the bed she's meant to occupy, all to herself. She stares dreamily at the baths Jehanne promises she'll get to use to wash herself, and smiles brightly at the many dresses that the young lady thought they would fit her friend's lean figure.

Jehanne observes every single one of Lizbeth's reactions. Every sound, every movement, every smile. She grins throughout the whole introducing process, her heart light as it has never been, so close to her royal peers. Lisa bows down low when she is presented to the Queen -just like she is supposed to. The sovereign barely glances at her with disinterest, but Jehanne knows that she would speak up if her daughter's decision was unaccepted. Lizbeth also bows to greet the maids that are supposed to teach her the secrets of their job. They stare at young Lisa with slight apprehension, and one of them even sighs. Jehanne actually thinks about dismissing all of them, forcing them to leave their castle, how they dare treat her best friend badly, but Lizbeth's hesitant grin stops her from doing so. Jehanne wants Lizbeth's first day in the castle to be perfect. At least the first day.

Then, she will deal with minor details. With Lizbeth at her side.

-

Despite the maids' reticence, Lizbeth learns fast. She cleans again and again until the furniture shines. She combs Jehanne's hair until chocolate threads imitate the light of the sunrise. She irons, and buttons, and even sews until her hands get slightly callous.

Jehanne wonders, sitting in her immense bed while her friend tries to erase a strain in a creamy dress, whether her proposal was more of a curse than a blessing. The thought makes her heart ache, and she can't stop herself from reaching to grasp Lizbeth's hand with her own.

"Leave it; It's not important".

The tallest girl smiles softly.

"It's one of your favorite dresses".

"It's not important. I will be getting a lot of them next week, so I might have another favorite", the shortest brunette insists.

Lizbeth stares at the piece of clothing, and then at their linked hands. She decides she can take a brief pause from her duties.

"It's hard to believe you are turning sixteen so soon, Your Grace".

Jehanne frowns deeply, but keeps her hand in place.

"Don't call me that".

Lizbeth chuckles slightly.

"Sorry, I got used to it".

As she sees that her friend is still upset, the tallest girls brings their joined hands to her mouth, kissing Jehanne's knuckles softly.

The young lady feels a rush of fondness tingling in her heart, making her cheeks hotter. She stares at her friend almost in a trance.

Lizbeth stares back, but doesn't pull away. Never pulls away.

It seems almost impossible for the girls to ever pull away.