Arc I (3) - 550 AD

Jehanne runs away from the castle as she did when she was a little child.

This time, however, she doesn't want to leave her kingdom. She wants to save it.

She walks around carefully, but people doesn't spare a look at her, anyway.

Jehanne does look.

And she sees everything.

She sees the children crying, the men sweating, the women begging. She sees the animals perishing in the streets, the lands dry, the houses broken. She sees everything and her heart aches for everyone.

They deserve to survive. Lizbeth deserves to live.

So she will have to sacrifice.

She goes back to her castle as a shattered being. She will be incomplete.

-

"I made my decision", Jehanne murmurs.

"And?"

"I will marry the prince".

The queen smiles at her for the first time in ages.

"Well done. We will organize the party. The Prince would feel unable to reject our proposal".

The future queen nods.

-

"You look beautiful", Lizbeth tells Jehanne as she helps her fit into the most magnificent dress she owns.

The shortest girl shivers under the feeling of the tallest girl's fingers brushing against her skin. It's been long since she's let herself succumb at the delight of her touches. She has found excuses: royal duties. Urgent royal duties.

Lizbeth has always answered with a smile. Jehanne knows they don't light up her eyes as they are supposed to.

The maid begins to work with the endless buttons at the back of the dress.

"It's quite a big celebration", she mumbles.

"It is".

Jehanne feels like crying.

"Are you supposed to tighten the relationship with Baekje?"

"Yes", the shortest girl answers, her tone sharper than intended.

Lizbeth pauses for a second before returning to work.

"I am sorry for overstepping, Your Grace".

Jehanne turns around quickly.

"Liz, it's not like that".

But Lizbeth keeps buttoning, her eyes fixed to her work.

"It will not happen again", she mumbles, and Jehanne feels as if she was punched right on her chest.

"Liz..."

Lizbeth looks at her in the eyes, the sorrow reflected in her eyes enough to make the lady reach out to hold her face. She changes her mind when her fingers are about to meet soft skin.

"Is that what you want me to call you now?"

"Liz... please".

"Because it seems like it is. After all, you are doing nothing else than avoid me lately".

"Listen to me..."

"I understand that you are dealing with many issues, Jenn, but I love you. I'm here for you. If you want me to give you space, I can give you space, but please, just tell me what you want".