Arc II (3) - 1594

Weeks follow, but Eliza barely notices.

She feels lighter, younger, happier.

The pounding in her leg seems fainter, and it abandons her completely in the minutes she spends laughing loudly at one of her nurse's jokes or listening to her reading another Shakespeare play with a velvety voice.

Eliza has never felt a romantic connection with anybody.

She has loved her father, more than anyone else. She has made friends, played with them. She has lost some of them because of the passage of time, because of the force of a bullet.

But with Jenna, it's different.

Eliza knows that she's falling in love.

It terrifies her sometimes, as she's laying with the tiny girl in her arms, late in one of her sleepless nights. Her heart has always been filled with dreams of honor, with the passion of justice, with the determination of fighting back.

But now, Eliza thinks, her head tilted back, looking at the million stars shinning in the sky, now there is something else.

"What are you thinking about?" Jenna asks, and sits beside her patient.

The night is warm. The grass against their hands and legs is soft. The scent of flowers and a feeling of slight humidity dances in the air.

"Nothing", Eliza answers, "just...life".

Jenna hums in a way that indicates lack of conviction. It makes the soldier smile.

"How is your leg?"

"Perfect", the tallest girl answers, "I feel content".

Jenna smiles teasingly, tilting her head.

"Content, huh?"

She moves her body slightly, yearning to be closer to the tallest girl.

She always wants to be closer.

"How are you?" Eliza asks this time.

"Content as well", Jenna smiles, "happy. Exultant".

Eliza chuckles. Her chest feels warm.

"Oh my, all that reading has its benefits, doesn't it?"

"What can I say, my lady? Reading helped me expand my vocabulary. However", Jenna starts with a light voice, and Eliza smiles in anticipation, "It appears I still haven't found the words to describe your beauty under the light of this summer moon".

The soldier blushes hard, but chuckles nevertheless.

"Oh, so you found a favorite genre, haven't you?"

"I like romance", Jenna explains softly, "it's beautiful".

Eliza looks at her nurse in the eyes.

It's true, she thinks, words are lacking.

"I didn't like romance before".

How to explain the burning in your eyes?

"Why?"

The curve of your nose.

"I didn't know love. Not that type of love".

The shape of your mouth.

"And now?"

Eliza exhales.

They are inches apart.

"I think I do now".

Jenna parts her lips carefully. Her eyes are half-lidded, and there is such a delightful flush covering her cheeks that Eliza can't help herself.