01

˖⋆࿐໋₊ ❝ I'm a bird free falling, I make a bad, bad prisoner

 I make a bad, bad prisoner. ❞ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

ISLE OF WIGHT
┌ ꒰⍉꒱─ ➤ 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘐 `⍜'ˎ-
。˚ ✧ CAROLINE

I anxiously tapped my foot against the rough stone of Zoe's doorstep. I hadn't seen her since last summer, being away in Beaumaris with my father this past year was exhausting. I was grateful they had a local stable close enough to my father's job. However, this year was different, my father was so preoccupied with his job this summer that he apparently couldn't have me around any longer. Thus, here I am, standing outside the large brick house that belonged to the Phillip's, my heavy luggage weighing painfully on my arms.

Not having any clue how long I'd stay with the Phillips, or when my father came back, meant there was constant anxiety boiling within me. I hated it when things weren't structured.

I adjusted my grip on my heavy suitcase, shifting my arm uncomfortably so I could knock properly on their door.

I sighed, dropping my heavy bags for a moment, shaking my tired arms in the process. I glanced around eagerly, as I waited for someone to open the door.

I soon began to wonder if they were going to open the door.

Seconds began to feel like minutes, minutes like hours, I was getting impatient. I raised my arm to knock once more, but before my knuckles even hit the wood door, it swung open quickly, startling me slightly.

I jumped back as the door was swung open so violently, it caused it to slam directly into the wall behind it.

"Miss. Smith!" Frank beamed, gesturing happily with his hands. I chuckled, pulling Frank into a hug.

He pulled away, his eyes wandering to my tossed bags beside me,

"Let me get that for you." his voice strained, as he picked up a piece of my luggage, clearly, Frank wasn't cut out to be carrying bags at his age anymore.

I rushed to help him with the large bag, but he shoved me off, saying he could carry it. I shook my head, picking up the remainder of my belongings as we both headed inside the house.

He shut the door behind me with his foot, as I set the bag down on their kitchen island. Quick small footsteps sounded from the stairs, making me avert my gaze from the bags in front of me, to the source of the noise.

Rosie descended from the stairs, eyeing Frank suspiciously. It wasn't until she locked eyes with me that her Face immediately lit up.

"Caroline!" she squealed, rushing towards me and practically throwing her arms around my torso. I stumbled back slightly, nearly falling over from the force she darted towards me with.
"Hey you little glitter-ball" I teased, ruffling her hair. Frank shook his head at the small girl, calling Zoe's name from the bottom of the stairs.

Almost instantly, Zoe ran down the stairs with such velocity, I was certain she was going to run straight into the wall in front of her. Her eyes met with mine and she beamed. Rosie was still hugging me tightly.

Zoe soon was embracing me as well.

Yeah, I missed this.

"We have so much to catch up on!" she blurted, yanking me away from Rosie's grip and leading me towards her back-yard, which was practically a field, if I may add. Rosie simply frowned at Zoe, huffing and crossing her arms across her chest.

                                                         ‿︵‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ - - - - - ୨˚̣̣̣͙୧‿︵‿︵‿︵

Shortly after, Zoe and I were laying amongst her large field of a back-yard. I couldn't stop thinking about how I would love to gallop through it with Romeo. I was currently filling Zoe in on my life in Beaumaris. I told her about the typical and posh riding school that I attended, my friends, all the shows I entered Romeo in, and simply life in general. Soon, Zoe began doing the same, she was going on about how different the UK was from America, her father, and Rosie. Zoe had recently arrived in Isle of Wight merely days ago, so she was quite unfamiliar with the land.

My eyes grew heavy and Zoe's voice was wavering and echoing in my head. I wasn't very fond of planes. Seeing as Isle of Wight and Beaumaris have different time zones I was extremely tired for it being noon; jet-lagged, perhaps. I was thankful to be vacationing with Phillips this summer, seeing as my father was still getting established, and still needed to collect his 'work' things. I didn't mind, he wasn't around a whole lot to begin with, then again, I was always best on my own.

"I'm so glad you took my advice and boarded Romeo at bright fields!" said Zoe, turning her head to look at me.

I chuckled, "Holloway was tempting, honestly-" I averted my gaze towards the bright blue sky above, "-It's much like the riding school back home. Perhaps that's what made me consider it, it looked homey. Then again, Holloway and bright fields are practically rivals, I couldn't do that to you."

Zoe smiled sincerely, her gaze flickering to the sky as well.

"Besides-" I started, "We both know you would've just about murdered me if I did."
Zoe's laughter filled my ears, she nodded her head, knowing she was the type of person to do such a thing. I chuckled along with her, shaking my head. It honestly did sound exactly like the type of thing Zoe would do.

We began chatting about random things soon after. Zoe was telling me about her encounter with a horse named 'Raven' who seems to be completely mental, along with his, and I quote, 'even more mental owner,' Mia.

I opened my mouth to respond to her snarky comment about Mia, but before I could Maggie came sprinting from the back door, a worried and frantic expression on her features.

"Girls!" Maggie called, running up to us.

As if on cue, we both whipped ourselves around to look at the frantic woman, who was panting mercilessly.

"Rosie's missing - !" the woman cried.

Zoe rolled her eyes and slumped down, "Again?"

My eyes widened, and I snapped my head to look at Zoe in bewilderment, "Again?! This has happened before?!"

"She's probably left - for a walk." Frank's voice grunted. I turned my head, to see Frank attempting to mount the fence separating their backyard in order to get to us. It seemed like everyone ignored my previous inquiry about Rosie, which was odd.

"No offense, but Rosie's not necessarily a walking type." I added, making sure they weren't ignoring my presence entirely. Frank simply shrugged in response.

Maggie let out a sigh, clearly beginning to panic, "She doesn't know these roads like I do- she doesn't notice the dangers!"

"I think - we're getting a little hysterical-" Frank groaned, as he finally managed to climb the fence, making his way to Maggie. "-She's only been gone five minutes" he finished, taking his place beside the frantic mother.

Zoe closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Grandpa, please, not helping." she muttered, to which Frank gave her a look of sympathy.

"Mom," she opened her eyes, looking into her mother's brown ones, "relax, breath! Remember your Yogalates." she exhaled, imitating a yoga pose.

I shot Zoe a confused glance, she met my eyes and gave me an odd look in return.

"Right... yes, my breathing. Uhm, I'll go wait by the phone." Maggie replied breathlessly and instantly stormed off into the house, Frank following behind closely.

"I'll find her! She couldn't have gone far!" Zoe called after her mother, who gave her a quick nod, before she swung open the back-yard door, holding it slightly longer for Frank, and disappearing into the darkness of the house.

"Feeling like going on an adventure?" she inquired unenthusiastically, giving me the impression she was not happy to go scavenger hunting for her sister. Especially if this has happened before.

I smirked, "When am I not?"

                                                    ‿︵‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ - - - - - ୨˚̣̣̣͙୧‿︵‿︵‿︵

I swore it felt like we had been searching for Rosie for days. I was certain we searched in every place except the stables. Which is exactly where I told Zoe to start with, but the girl wouldn't budge, she insisted we saved the stables for last.

After we finished practically scavenger-hunting for Rosie around Isle of Wight, we finally arrived at the stables.

I guess you could say I wasn't surprised to see Rosie there, making sure to mutter an 'I told you so.' to Zoe as soon as I saw the small glitter-ball. However, I was surprised to see Rosie in deep conversation with a tall figure. He had midnight black hair that was ruffled messily, while his emerald-green eyes pierced Rosie's, sweet chocolate ones.

If I hadn't known any better, I would say it looked like she was flirting with the boy.

"Rosie!" Zoe called.

Rosie darted her head in our direction, but before Zoe could open her mouth to reem her, Rosie smiled at me.

"Caroline!" she squealed, before running into my arms again. I pat her back awkwardly, getting a strange feeling of deja-vu. I was sure I already greeted Rosie earlier, but hey, free hugs.

"Rosie, you've got mom worried sick, again!" Zoe scoffed, crossing her arms.

Rosie pulled away and rolled her eyes at Zoe, taking her hidden hint in her tone.
"I'm going..." she mumbled, spinning on her heel and walking down the dirt-path leading towards Phillip's home.

"Well." I clasped my hands together, looking at Zoe expectantly.

She shook her head, "Well, that's settled."

"That was certainly something..." an unfamiliar voice stated. I turned my head to look for the source, meeting a familiar emerald gaze in return.

"Friend of yours, Zoe?" The boy inquired.

Before Zoe could respond, a new voice joined in.

"Caroline?"

My eyes widened, and I whipped myself around.

"Sam?"

She smiled and wrapped her arms around my tightly, I kindly returned the gesture. I could practically feel the gaze of Zoe and the unfamiliar boy burning into my back.

"How have you been?" she asks, a smile forming on her features.

"You know how it is... you?" I question, shrugging my shoulders.

"I've seen better days, but the fact you're back makes it better. It is truly nice to see you Care." she replies, a faint gloss tinting her eyes. I give her an empathetic smile.

"Hold on, you two know each other?!" Zoe quizzed, clearly shocked at the sight. Sam chuckles and nods,
"Yes, we go way back." she smiles, "Caroline, I don't believe you've met Marcus, he's my cousin." she gestures to the unfamiliar boy beside Zoe.

Marcus smiles, and extends his hand, to which I politely shake.

"He's a very talented rider." Sam adds, nudging his shoulder, causing a fair pink hue to appear on Marcus's cheeks.

"Anyways." Sam claps her hands together, "Romeo's trailer arrived last night, I assume you want to see him?"

I practically light up with joy, "Of course!" I state, as if that's even a question.

Sam gestures to me to follow her, and promptly leads me further into the stables, where various stalls are in view, some occupied, while others vacant. My eyes wander to a familiar speck of dapple grey, below a stable door.

"Romeo!" I whistle, to which Romeo lifts his head sharply at the sound of my voice, his mouth filled with hay.

 I chuckle at his foolish appearance and make my way towards his stall.He happily snorts at the familiar scent of me. Which soon turned into him sniffing my entire torso for treats. I scoff, ruffling his forelock playfully.

authors note//

hello everyone!!! wow its been nearly 6 months since this story was last updated, i feel dreadful! honestly I lost so much interesting because I was honestly so bad at writing at the time, but im back and I hope to continue this story actively! Thank you to those who have remained throughout the time being, hope you enjoy this story!