05

˖⋆࿐໋₊ ❝Everything is changing, and I've been here for too long,
going through the same things, I've been hurting too long, got to move on. I can't do this anymore. ❞ ✧*̥₊˚‧☆ミ

ISLE OF WIGHT
┌ ꒰⍉꒱─ ➤ season I `⍜'ˎ-
。˚ ✧ CAROLINE

The trek from Pins house was exhausting, not only to me but to Romeo, I could tell he was tiring out.

As I was nearing the stables, I saw Zoe, Becky and Jade, trotting together. Sighing, deciding to join them, I hesitantly cantered up to them.

"Hey." I greeted with a warm smile.

The girls all greeted me with 'hello's as I trotted next to them.

"I feel so bad, Care." Zoe sighed, clearly referring to the incident with Pin earlier.
I pursed my lips, looking at Zoe with sympathy, "Don't Zoe, there's no way you could've known." I frowned.

I could feel my stomach clenching in an uncomfortable knot. Romeo tends to pick up on my emotions and nerves often which wasn't exactly ideal considering he began fighting to increase his speed at the sudden change in atmosphere.

"Woah, Woah Woah, Romeo!" my voice raised, attempting to calm him down. I pulled the reins back, making him halt. Unfortunately, not for long... Romeo threw his head and began bucking, sending me straight out of the saddle and into a mud puddle, my grey breeches now soaked in mud. I felt the wind practically get sucked out of my lungs, sending me straight into a coughing fit as I struggled to catch my breath.

"Caroline!" Zoe shrieked in horror, grabbing Romeo's reins so he wouldn't bolt, "Oh my gosh, are you alright?" she extended her hand to help me up.

I groaned as I felt my side throb from the violent impact., "Yeah, I'll - be fine." my voice was raspy from the stabbing pain surging through my side, I grabbed Zoe's hand and swung myself up.

My breath hitched as I stood up, my pain on my side seeming to increase as I was upright. I knew nothing was broken but I was certain I was going to have a nasty bruise.

"Caroline, look..." Jade's voice trailed off, as she lifted the flap of my saddle, revealing a sharp twig poking into Romeo's girth elbow. My lips parted and I sucked in a sharp breath, It must've somehow gotten there when I tied him up at Pin's. I couldn't wash away the guilt that surfaced as I realized he must've been in pain, yet I didn't even bother to acknowledge the warnings.

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose, Zoe placing her hand on my shoulder comfortably.

"Caroline, you can't leave his girth on, it will irritate him further," Jade stated in a matter of fact tone.
I opened my eyes and exhaled, looking at the large scratch on Romeo's side caused bile to uncomfortably rise in my throat. I swallowed thickly, attempting to brush away the flurry of emotions that rushed in. I approached Romeo calmly, carefully undoing his girth. Just as I was about to remove his saddle I paused in realization.

"Wait a minute," I turned to the group, "where am I going to put all of this?"

Jade looked around thoughtfully, seeming to come up with an answer, but Becky beat her to it.
"I'll carry it!" Becky exclaimed proudly.

"Becky, are you mad? I'm not going to let you carry all of that."

"Oh, relax!" she scoffed, her voice reaching a high-pitch, "We're close to the stables, it shouldn't be long, we can all pitch in!"

I glanced at Zoe in uncertainty, before looking back at Becky who was smiling brightly.
"Okay, I guess it should work," I mumbled,  turning back to Romeo and gently pulling off his tack.