CHAPTER 32

Lennox should be here soon. Why am I so nervous? It's not the first time she's eaten dinner with us, but that was before we were ... something. Uncle Rob and Monica kept asking when they'd see her again. They know we're kind of — sort of — dating? I almost chickened out but held my ground. The initial shock of her saying yes hasn't quite worn off yet.

I log out of my game just as Skype starts ringing. Mom's picture pops up. We haven't talked on the phone much but have been texting every day. I need to come up with a way to ask her to come to the wedding. I've been avoiding that conversation by telling her I've been busy at work. Hearing her say no will break me, I just know it.

"Hey Mom," I say.

It takes the computer at home a few minutes to load her face. At first, she's a little grainy, but eventually it clears up. She's so close to the screen, she looks like a blob. I chuckle at her attempt to fix the camera.

"Oh, I can see you now," she says, backing away a bit.

Mom is a bit tanner than she was when I left. That's a good sign. It means that aside from work she's getting out more. She looks to be in a better mood than she was the day I left. Her dark brown hair is pulled back, and she's actually wearing some makeup.

"Hey, is the computer working okay?" I ask.

"It takes years to start up." Her laughter fills the room, and I can't help smiling.

The computer on her end glitches a bit, and she sounds a little tinny.

"When I get back, I promise I'll fix the ancient thing. I've made some extra cash this summer, maybe I can build a new one."

"I'm sure it will be okay. It runs fine for now. I'd rather you spend it on something for yourself or maybe for college."

I haven't told Mom my thoughts about wanting to go to a college here in New York. I still have a lot of research to do and until then I'll keep it to myself.

"I was just calling because I missed your face," she says.

My cheeks burn at her comment. I miss her too.

"What are you up to? I'm not interrupting anything am I?"

She leans forward in her seat, her eyes darting around as if she were here checking my room for any signs of trouble making. Not like I ever got into trouble. She's just being a mom.

"Lennox is coming over."

"Oh, that's the girl you've been texting me about."

She wiggles her brows.

"Mom," I laugh.

"Are you two together?"

Are we? I'm not sure what we are. I do know that whatever we have is nice. I'm a little nervous about what's to come at the end of summer, but if things progress then maybe she and I can make it work. I'm still in shock by the whole thing, and I need time to process what is happening between us.

"We're something."

She claps her hands together. "Oh, sweetie that sounds amazing. I'm so happy for you, I hope I can meet her one day."

A soft knock rattles my door. Lennox is here. I glance between the door and Mom contemplating my next move. I've never really introduced Mom to a girl before.

"Do uh — do you want to meet her?"

Mom gasps. "She's there? I'd love to."

Before I can get up, the door opens, and Lennox's head peeks around the frame.