CHAPTER 41

I zip up my suitcase and take a look around the room. I'm starting to pack for my trip back to California in a few days. Tomorrow I plan on talking to Lennox. I have to get up the courage to text her. Maybe a trip to Jones Beach with mom will somehow summon my courage. A band mom likes is playing and I was able to get her some tickets with my hard earned money I made this summer.

The last few days mom and I have been all over, from Manhattan to Montauk Point. This island really is beautiful and I think mom has fallen in love.

Someone knocks on my door. "Come in."

I expect to see Rob or mom, but instead it's Dan. I haven't spent much time with him this week. I hate to admit it, but I was avoiding my friends too.

"Hey man, leaving without saying goodbye?"

There's an edge to his voice.

I shake my head. "I'm not leaving for another few days. I'm taking mom to the beach today."

"So that's what you've been up to all week."

I toss my suitcase to the floor, and take a seat in the computer chair. Crossing my arms I carefully observe Dan's behavior.

"Yeah, I just needed to clear my head. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I get it. Do you want the good or bad news first?" he asks.

He strolls across the room and kicks off his shoes, then throws himself on the bed. I smirk at Dan being Dan, making himself at home. There's an ache in my chest over the fact that in just a few days I'm leaving and I don't know when I'll see him or Maya again. It most likely won't be until next summer. I hate the dreaded feeling I get just before I leave. I always spend my last week with them doing everything we can think of to celebrate the end of summer, but this year was different.

"I'll tell you the good news," he says, not allowing me to answer.

"What's your good news?"

His cheeks flush a deep pink, and the smug look says it all. He throws his hands behind his head and leans up against the headboard..

"I told Maya that I love her. I've loved that girl since we were kids. It felt weird to say it outloud, but it felt so good."

My head drops and I stare at my hands. Lennox had tried to tell me that she loved me the day of the premier. Every time she spoke I didn't give her the chance, and now I may never hear those words from her mouth.

"I'm happy for you Dan." I look him in the eye to let him know I'm serious. "I've been rooting for you two since that first summer. I'm so happy you both decided to finally come clean."

"Thanks, that means a lot to me," he says. "So, here's my other news. Do you want to hear it?"

"I guess." I sigh.

"Okay, so Lennox is doing a stream in like thirty seconds." He hands me the phone.

"And that's the good news or the bad news?" I ask, staring down at the phone.

"I don't know, you tell me."

Dan puts the phone in my hand. He already has her Instagram page up and ready to go. The live feed pops up and Lennox's face appears. I gasp at the sight of her. She's paler than normal, and even through her makeup I don't miss the purple bags under her eyes.

"Hey everyone Lennox Taylor here. I know there's been radio silence on my end since the season finale and I just wanted to address some of the rumors floating around."