CHAPTER 36

I fix the ridiculous red bow tie that Uncle Rob picked out for the guys to wear. I fuss with it to make sure it's straight. There's a knock on my door, and with a frustrated sigh I give up. I expect to find Uncle Rob or mom but instead it's Dan. His hair is an unruly mess, and his suit jacket hangs open with a pink tie wrapped around his neck. He walks right in without a word and stalks to the bed. I shut the door and spin to find him sitting on the edge of the bed running a hand through his hair.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

"God, who's crazy idea was it to ask my best friend on a date? She's gonna want to kiss me. Girls get sappy and shit at these things," he says.

"You haven't kissed her yet?"

"It's different with her." Letting out a sigh, he shakes his head, and rakes a trembling hand through his already messed up hair.

"What would be wrong with kissing Maya?"

He throws me a look.

"Not that I want to, but honestly - what is wrong with kissing her?"

"Nothing," he shouts. "That's the damn problem, nothing." A growl slips through his barred teeth.

I sit down next to him, but not too close.

"Do you want to kiss her?"

Dan shakes his head, then nods, and shakes it again. He throws his hands in the air.

"You know damn well that I do. Ugh!"

I chuckle lightly at his dramatics. Dan has never been so bent out of shape before. Sure, he's been pining over her for years, but now that he's so close to having what he wants I can see how much it scares him. Behind his eyes hides the many reasons he's never asked her out before. Their friendship is the most important thing in his life. Messing it up would destroy him.

"Hey," I say, patting his back. "You got this."

I debate about texting Maya to find out how she's doing. If he's this much of a wreck, she must be in full on Maya panic mode.

"If I mess this up..."

"You won't."

I cut him off, trying to reassure him. "You got this, now let's fix you up."

I give Dan some hair product and help him get his tie together. We are both standing in front of my mirror trying to straighten the bow I have when my door flies open.

"Hope you're decent," Alexa sings.

Standing in the doorway is Alexa, Maya, and Lennox. Holy crap - Lennox. Her hair is up in this twirly looking bun thing, and some stray hairs fall into her delicate looking face. She's wearing contacts today that brighten her eyes a bit. Her dress though, I'm in awe. Her tall thin legs peek out from the bottom of her lavender dress, and her body fits the outline perfectly. I know my mouth is probably hanging open, and God I hope I'm not drooling. Suddenly I feel the way Dan was when he came bursting in here.

Lennox steps forward and stands in front of me. I block out everyone else and focus on her. I don't know why she gets me so bent out of shape but having her standing here like this makes me want to kick everyone else out so that I can kiss her all night. Other thoughts pop into my head, but I try to control them.

"Hey." Her voice is soft and so very sexy at this moment.

"Yo, Romeo weddings starting in five, save the smooching for later."

Alexa sure knows how to ruin a moment.

"You look amazing," I say to Lennox, ignoring everyone.

"You too, love the bow tie."