CHAPTER 34

You can do this! I chant to myself. Everything needs to be perfect. Max has become a huge part of my life and I want everything to go smoothly. I'm slowly learning that my feelings for Max are so strong that I felt like I needed to do something big to let him know what he means to me. He seemed a little upset over the phone call with Chase, and I want to let him know how important he is to me and how whatever was in my past is now just that, the past.

I move the white lace curtain from the living room window, and close it again. My phone feels like a brick in my pocket, so I take it out and check the time, it's 6:05pm, and Max is set to be here around 6:15. Dad and Walker are in the kitchen, pots and pans are being taken out and the dinner prep has begun. Dad isn't the best cook, but Walker insisted the two take some classes together this summer, and they learned how to make their own pasta sauce, which of course they want to use the night Max and his family are coming to dinner.

Last I spoke to Rob he said they were still waiting for Stacy at the airport and that there was a delay. She was supposed to land around four fifteen, but she's now due to land hopefully in the next ten minutes. I'm still in awe that dad and Walker said yes and allowed me to use some of my money to pay for Stacy's plane ticket.

I abandon my spot in the living room to check on dads. It's not that I don't trust their cooking skills, I'm just curious. The sauce has been cooking for hours and the smell of tomatoes and garlic have been permeating the house all day. Dad places the lid back on just as I saunter over curiously peaking into the pot.

Walker is busy prepping his favorite caesar salad recipe he got off of Rachel Ray's website.

"Yum-O!" he says as he tosses the lettuce about.

"Bam!" dad yells.

I raise my brow at him. I really hope they don't start spouting these lines during dinner.

"Okay Rachael and Emeril," I joke.

Dad laughs, "Don't be such a party pooper Lennox," Walker teases.

"Oh my god you guys," I chuckle.

I walk around to check out Walker's salad, "Smells amazing in here," I comment.

"Bam! Bam! Yum-O!"

"Are you guys brainwashing Elli with your cooking shows too?"

Elli comes sliding into the kitchen with his favorite ducky slippers on and barrels into me. I grunt from the impact, but stay stable enough to keep us both from landing on the floor.

"Woah there buddy," I say grabbing hold of him.

"Sorry Ex," he says with a kind smile.

"It's okay buddy just be careful," I say.

The doorbell rings and I jump. My face is on fire, I'm so beyond nervous. I really want this to go well, and I hope by me meddling in his family business won't upset him. I start to walk forward but freeze.

"Ding dong," Elli says.

I kneel down to get closer to Elli, "Hey there buddy," I say.

"Yes ex?" he asks.

I smile and place a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Let's open the door together."

Elli nods and puts his arms up for me to grab him. I lift him and we walk together to the door. I've never liked anyone the way I like Max, not even Chase and the thought of him being mad at me for paying for a ticket is eating me alive.

"Open!" Elli shouts, like he spouting out some magic spell.

I tug hard at the door and standing there adorable as hell, is Max. I'm speechless at the fact that he's dressed in khaki pants, and a black short sleeve button down. I focus on the swirly white design near his right side, and my eyes blur. He's quiet too. I check to make sure nothing is amiss. Maybe my short floral print skirt is lifting in a weird way and he can see my granny panties. My eyes glaze over my skirt, but see nothing. Then I check to make sure that my chest is still in tact, sometimes this off the shoulder top can show more than I'd like it to. Nope, all good in that department. Max is smiling, that ear to ear smile where his eyes light up and wrinkles form at the corner.

"Hey Elli," he says.

Elli flaps his hands with excitement.

"Ax!"

"Hey Lennox, wow. You look," he says swallowing hard, "Amazing."

He reaches out a hand and I reach out with my free hand to hold onto his. Elli squirms out of my grip, and I let go of Max to let him down.

"Game Ax, play games," Elli says staring up at Max.

"Sure buddy, in a little while. I'm going to say hi to your dads first, okay?"

Max looks right at Elli as he speaks, and Elli nods running off into the living room. I step aside finally allowing Max to come inside. The minute I close the door, his hand is on mine again, then he takes hold of the other and stares up at me. I look down at the light pink slipper socks on my feet.

"You okay?" he asks.

My cheeks feel warm, and when I finally look at him he's staring at me like he's never done before. His eyes are wide and he's taking in everything about me, including the big wavy curls I tried to perfect in my hair.

"Yeah, just..."

A loud noise comes from the kitchen and I hear Walker curse under his breath. I bite hard on my bottom lip and wait for someone to yell out.

"That's an old dish anyway," I hear dad say.

My eyes float back to Max, who still hasn't stopped looking at me.

"You're making me nervous," I giggle.

He grabs my chin with his pointer finger and tugs me forward planting a soft warm kiss on my lips. My heart clenches, but my lower stomach flutters like crazy.

"I'm sorry," he says smiling again. "You look beautiful Lennox, and don't worry about your dads, there's nothing they can do to..."

"BAM!"

I release a hand from Max then smack my head with it. Max chuckles, and peels away the hand on my face. He places a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"I'll go see if they need some help," Max says.

He pulls away, then takes his shoes off on the small mat my dads have at the door. I stare after him as he heads down the hall towards the kitchen. Max is amazing and I'm a jerk. I hear Walker shout Max's name, and that's my que to make sure everything goes smoothly.