Chapter Six

"I can't believe that you're eighteen and you don't know how to drive a car" Roman laughs. "I know how to drive. I just don't have enough practice" I defend

"Just like you don't have enough practice in running?" Rhys asks me with an amused smile. I turn to glare at him but quickly shift my focus back to the road.

"We have a lot to teach you" Rome grins. With Rhys giving me the directions, I take us by the long route, taking a second or two every here and there to appreciate the city.

"I heard about your intriguing introduction to Jeff and Duncan" Rhys comments somewhere between our conversation.

"Jeff? The guy who bitched with Emma last year?" Rome interrogates. It immediately catches my attention and I ask, "What do you mean?"

"Last year, there was a freshman with us, Emma Saltz. She was nice, always smiling and polite. She was also very reserved, didn't really gave any boy a chance to be more than her friend. Jeff followed her for months, brought her presents and took her places. We all thought they were becoming great friends. Ryker became friends with him at that time. Then, after five months, they started a relationship. Emma was very happy. She used to tell us how sweet Jeff was, how he made her happy"

"Fast forward. Four months into their relationship, Emma finally decided to do the deed with him. She went to his house and they had the best night ever. Or that's what Emma thought. Two days later, Jeff dumped her. In front of the whole school, right in the cafeteria. He called her a whore who got manipulated easily and said that she wasn't even good in bed. Emma locked herself in the bathroom, stayed there for hours. We were afraid she had.... done something" Rhys tells

"What happened after that? Did she...?"

"No. Her sister came down to get her. She didn't come to college for weeks and then shifted to a different university the moment the year got over. Even changed her house, now she lives with her sister and her husband" Rhys says

"That's.... that's disgusting. How can someone be so cruel?" I exclaim in bewilderment.

"Rumour has it that Jeff made a bet with someone. And he got his reward the moment he ruined her life" Roman muses.

"What we're saying here is that you have to be careful about who you talk to. WCU might seem all prestigious but it has its own serpents running through the halls" Rhys says. I nod my head.

"Why are people becoming such sadists?" Roman wonders aloud

"Humans tend to reflect what they see and suffer" I say before I can process it. I can feel their stares, but I keep my focus on the road. The rest of the ride is quiet, the radio playing softly in the background.

When we reach, I get out letting Roman parallel-park the car into the driveway. "You know, you're a Charlen's girl. You don't need to worry about such douche bags" Rhys says as we make our way into the house. I give him a smile and say, "I trust you, guys" and head towards my room.

When I'm changed and comfortable, I quickly take out my books to assess all that we did today. Halfway through my work, I hear a knock on the door. I look up to see Rosa standing there with a plate of sandwiches.

"You don't need to knock" I say with a smile. "How did it go?" she asks me, placing the plate in front of me. I start eating and say, "It was good. All my teachers are nice, subjects are my favourites and I made a friend" I say

"A friend? Who's the lucky person?" she asks with a smile

"Her name is Amanda. She's... not like the girls back in high school" my voice comes out devoid of emotions.