Part 24 (edited)

"Oh God, I was such an idiot this morning." I slouch in a booth at the student union and place my tray of food in front of me on the table. I ordered my favorite orange chicken from my favorite quick-order place in the food court but now it's not looking so appetizing. I've spent my entire day at school. This will be my second meal in the union because I can't bear to go home. Not after my embarrassing morning rant.
Tampon fireworks? Come on, Emma!
Adalyn sits across from me and starts to open her straw, tearing the paper off at the end and expertly working the plastic through the opening, saving the tube of paper so she can tie it in a knot, like she always does.
"Oh, you were an idiot? This is exciting. What did you do?" Adalyn takes a sip of her Dr. Pepper, orange soda combination—gross—and leans forward.
Before telling her what happened, I ask, "Was I a bad roommate?"
"No. If you were a bad roommate, do you really think I would have roomed with you for so long? Why do you ask?" Adalyn is always to the point, and I like that about her.
"I feel like I'm a pretty considerate person. I mean, I didn't put mint on your pillows or anything, but I made sure to make things as comfortable as possible between us, right?"
Adalyn picks up her wrap and looks at me, a knowing glint in her eye. "Uh oh, trouble in roommate paradise? How is that possible? You're rooming with a genuine, bona fide, certified, personified piece of man meat. What could be wrong with rooming with the epitome of all men? I mean, his smirk alone should make you feel complete at night."
I haven't seen that smirk in days.
I tug on my ponytail and shift in my seat. "I said something stupid the other night. I meant it, but I shouldn't have said it to him and now he barely says anything to me. We're just co-existing, not actually living together."
"What did you say?"
Groaning, I poke my fork at a piece of chicken and put it in my mouth. I talk and chew at the same time; it's Adalyn, she doesn't care. "I mentioned his ex-girlfriend who is one of my best friends."
"Who?" Adalyn is really getting into the conversation.
"Sadie, you met her."