ミ★ Chapter 9

Twilightbreeze put down a big oak leaf beside Ravenwind, who was treating Tinykit with Whiskerpetal beside her

Tinykit was lying on the moss with her eyes closed. Her face scowled in pain and she was shaking. Whiskerpetal's beautiful hazel-colored eyes became watery as she stared at Tinykit's lifeless figure.

Whiskerpetal insisted on staying by Tinykit's side, even during the treatment, and Twilightbreeze could not possibly push her away. Whiskerpetal was Tinykit's mother and she was always motherly and gentle.

"Poisoning again?" Twilightbreeze sat down and she used a rock to grind the Brown Herb, mixing it with honey. Ravenwind nodded and mewed as Twilightbreeze passed along the solution, "That is very uncommon."

A sound echoed through the tunnel, "I agree." 

Twilightbreeze and Ravenwind dripped their heads in respect as Twistedstar limped into the den. His leg was twisted in an unnatural way as he was permanently hurt in a monster attach to Thunderpath. Twistedstar turned to the medicine cats and asked, "How's Tinykit?"

Twilightbreeze and Ravenwind exchanged a glance. Then Ravenwind filled Twiststar with every detail of the mysterious poisoning. 

Twiststar acted calm as usual when he said, "Tinykit will live." "How could you say that? You are her father!" Whiskerpetal burst out, her voice shaking and she lied a paw gently on Tinykit. Twiststar sounded sure about what he said, but color drained from his face as he looked at Tinykit.

Whiskerpetal rested her tail on Tinykit as Ravenwind fed her the herbs using the oak leaf. Tinykit choked down the herbs as she slowly opened her eyes. "Feeling better?" Twilightbreeze mewed as she glanced at Tinykit, trying to figure out what else did she need.

Tinykit nodded as Twilightbreeze released a breath that she did not realize that she was holding. Even Ravenwind sounded relieved when she replied, "Great! Do you have any pain? How do you feel now?"

Tinykit let out a shaky breath as she said, "I am fine...Uh, what herb is that?" She stuck out her tongue and tried to get rid of the taste. Ravenwind handed her some Green Herb to wash away the taste. Twilightbreeze grabbed some Blue herb and put them in front of Tinykit.

"I am sure that you will be back to your trouble-making self soon after taking them," Twilightbreeze claimed. Tinykit was well known for her curiosity and mischievous. Last time, she sneaked to RiverClan which cost a lot of trouble. Twilightbreeze wondered when would she learn, but it definitely would not be soon.

But the atmosphere was too cold for a spark of the joke. Every cat stared at anywhere except one another. Finally, Ravenwind broke the silence as she asked the question that every cat was struggling to ask.

"What happened?" 

"I ate some prey and I had a bellyache." 

"Prey?"

"Yes."

Twilightbreeze had exactly no idea why a prey would cause such a strong reaction and poisoning. Ravenwind and Whiskerpetal were too. Whiserpetal mewed gently, voice filled with guilt, "I should have inspected the prey more carefully and taken better care of you, Tinykit..."

Ravenwind pointed out, "It is not your fault. You can't possibly prevent everything!"

Twiststar, "I won't blame you. I never did."

Whiskerpetal mewed, "Even if you did not, I would have blamed myself."

Whiskerpetal licked Tinykit gently and helped her with the rest of the herbs. Twilightbreeze and Ravenwind backed away as they did not want to disturb the cuddling time.

"Twilightbreeze!"

"I should have known you are eavesdropping!" Twilightbreeze stared at the white and grey spotted cat in front of her, "I should have known!"

"Hey! You suddenly left and I wanted to know what happened!" Fernheart snapped, "But I am definitely shocked that you wanted to get rid of Mudblossom using that way!"

Twilightbreeze sighed, "You don't understand..."

Fernheart shouted, "I do!"

Twilightbreeze explained, "I have found some clues that all pointed to Mudblossom..."

Fernheart asked, her voice filled with hurt, "Then why didn't you tell me?"

Twilightbreeze hated that she had made a good point. Why shouldn't I?

She replied, "I did not want to cause the cats to panic. Unnecessary panic."

Fernheart murmured, "You can tell me..."

Twilightbreeze sighed, "Sorry, I..."

Fernheart snapped, "No more excuses! I can't believe that you are that kind of cat who betrayed his friend..."

"What about you? Abandoning your best friend and ran off with a cat you barely knew. Chatting with the cat and pretended that I have never existed. What do you mean? Making me jealous? Because I am not!" The words burst out before she could even stop them. She could not control herself anymore. The sharp and cold side of her came before she could even stop it from showing.

Fernheart was shocked and her eyes flashed with guilt. But it turned to anger as soon as the guilt faded. She hissed, "How dare you...Perhaps you were the traitor yourself, and you were just finding excuses!"

Twilightbreeze replied, "I am not!"

"I don't want to know. And you should expect that everyone will hear about this! I don't understand why you wanted to let everyone dump her and I don't care!"

Fernheart stormed off, leaving Twilightbreeze behind. For the first time after Ravenwind's death, Twilightbreeze was speechless.