ミ★ Chapter 20

The trees were veiled in the lightest of mists, their trunks somber brown with sable cracks that gnarl the bark

The trees were veiled in the lightest of mists, their trunks somber brown with sable cracks that gnarl the bark. As Fernheart's eyes traveled to the edge of the woodland they become silhouettes against a cobweb of white, as if it is only daylight where she stood, as if she was encircled by twilight...

Until she felt her body was changed into a sitting position, she found that she was imagining.

Her vision was blurred and her mind was clouded, she could not see clearly. An echoed voice rang in her ears, breaking the silence.

"Meet you at Starpool at moonrise, pebble as a signal."

Her promise with Twilightbreeze.

And she was late.

She wanted to stand and run, but her mind would not even co-operate. She was left behind in the wood full of mist. She did not know why she was here, or what she was doing here. Fog of confusion wrapped around her as she let out a terrified mew.

"If I were you, I would stay still and shut up."

Fernheart wanted to ask a lot of questions, but she was smart enough to keep her mouth shut. 

She felt like looking through a thick cover of fog, but she could still make up the white pelt of the cat.

She blinked, wanting to clear her vision but failed.

A black monster appeared in front of her eyes and rushed closer. 

The air was too quiet that Fernheart could only hear her fast heartbeat, her lungs were screaming as she tried to gasp for breath. 

She closed her eyes...

Silence.

She opened her eyes and hit a wall of darkness.

The fog had disappeared, the world had disappeared. She was left behind in this empty space.

She was helpless.

A voice rang in her eyes, "Tell me what were you talking with Twilightbreeze in the afternoon."

The voice was familiar.

She wanted to feed the cat with a bunch of lies, but before she could think of one, her mouth gave it away, "We are thinking of finding the starstone."

She wanted to punish herself for the slip, but she felt that her body had left her, her soul reminded.

She could not even control herself.

She remembered the sweetness before she took a bite of her fish and closed her eyes...

She was controlled?

The voice let out a nasty laugh, "You do not have to fight the herb, what a helpful little gift from your friend Twilightbreeze."

Twilightbreeze?

Why would she do that?

She discovered the herb of honesty.

And they used it on Fernheart.

Fernheart burst without the chance to control herself, "You are Mudblossom? I know that! See? I am so mousebrained, all your little tricks..."

Her voice was drowned by a high-pitched laugh, "You think it is that mousebrain? Really? She acts upon my actions. I can tell her to die if I want to."

Fernheart did not know what to say or what to feel. Whether she should feel guilty or angry.

She stayed quiet as she was searching for the correct word to describe what she felt. Then she realized that word did not even exist.

"Tell me the details of your plan, all of your plans."

Stop it.

She would not.

Stop it, come on.

She would not, come on.

She wanted to bite her tongue, or woke up with Twilightbreeze looking at her and said, "I have got the Starstone."

"Why should I tell you?" Come out of her mouth instead.

At least better than nothing.

"Huh? Because I want to know, that's all. Now, open up before I cut your tongue."

Shivers spread on her pelt as she let out a terrified mew again.

Fear blinded her eyes as the darkness spread without an end.

"Who are you?"

"It is not important."

"Why do you want to know about the starstone?"

"Again, it is none of your business."

"Why is Mudblossom with you?"

"Enough questions. Now, this is an order. Tell me, what plan is that?"

She heard a sweet voice convincing her.

Tell her. It would be no harm.

It played a soothing melody inside her head as the music danced around her head, calming her.

She wanted it to stop.

Once again fear found her. It spoke to her in its cackling voice. It told her paws to go weak, her stomach to lurch and her heart to ache. There was nothing to fear but fear itself, but still she could not silence its voice.

She wanted to fight back, but she was helpless, being trapped inside a nightmare.

She wondered why would this even happen on her.

The sweet voice echoed and danced inside her head as she let out a frustrating growl.

Maybe it would be no harm...

Her mind gave away before she could even cut her thought.

To Fernheart's worst nightmare, she spilled every single detail.

And as the pawsteps rang and echoed into her ears, she knew she had made a great mistake.