ミ★ Chapter 15

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" 

Fernheart mewed as she tiptoed through Rainbow Hollow with Mudblossom at her right, "We are supposed to join in the rescue, but not following you to whatever place you are bringing me to see."

"Please! I have not even shown this to anyone, but you are my best friend. So I trust you with this secret." Mudblossom begged.

Best friend. Trust. Secret.

These were what Fernheart wanted. And Mudblossom's voice echoed in her head. 

She nodded as she followed Mudblossom to a forest.

The forest hummed its own melody with birds tweeting and animals playing. The sun broke through the cracks of the leaves, lighting up the dark path in front of them.

Sunningforest.

Twilightbreeze warned her not to go in when she just entered the mysterious world of StarClan.

"Ravenwind told me not to go, it contained some dark secrets that you will not wish to know," Twilightbreeze told Fernheart and looked away.

But Fernheart was confused that why Twilightbreeze was not curious about what was inside. Normally, she would sneak into it at night with her. Unless she went inside the forest without Fernheart?

Fernheart did not know what to feel when she asked as they walked down the narrow pathway, "What about Twilightbreeze? Did she know?" She found out the forest is darker than ever. Camouflage.

The question was not replied. Instead, Mudblossom mewed, "Did you ever wonder why did I bring you here?" 

"Apart from you-are-my-best-friend-and-you-want-to-show-me?" Fernheart asked as they reached a den that was well hidden in the forest. It looked old, abandoned and mysterious. There were plants growing on the roof of the den and birds seemed to treat it as their personal shelter. Mudblossom uncovered a secret panel behind a big oak leaf and licked. The secret panel was shaped as a rectangle, with a transparent square on top of a special shape. It shaped like a kite shape but looked like being squeezed and had five sides.

"Of course, I personally want to share it with you. But a cat wants to see you." Mudblossom replied but Fernheart did not pay attention to her reply.

"Is the square a receiver? Two-legs technology?" Instead, Fernheart asked.

"No, not two-legs technology," Mudblossom replied, "StarClan's legacy,"

Suddenly, they heard a sound from a bush nearby.

"Let me take a look," Mudblossom stomped the ground in a special pattern and she cautiously walked to the bush nearby where the sound was made. When she waited till the time was right, she leaped onto the figure, nailing the figure straight at it's back.

"Come on, Mudblossom! I know it is you!" The figure mewed using her silvery voice as Mudblossom landed on its back.

Yet, the sound was too familiar.

Because of the large impact, it sent the two cats toppled over and lied on the ground, sending birds and dust flying.

Twilightbreeze coughed because of the flying dust as she mewed, "What are you two doing here?"

Mudblossom and Fernheart exchanged a glance as Mudblossom replied, "And what are you doing here?"

Twilightbreeze pushed Mudblossom off her as she rolled her bright blue eyes and claimed, "Birdflight came to find you, Fernheart. He was deadly worried about you. I went after him as I was scared that he would do something mousebrain but he was too fast. I could not catch up. And now I was lost, and I saw you here with Fernheart... A bunch of good news!"

She took a deep breath and continued, "I need to tell him that I have found you. Also, this is not sarcasm but I am very glad to see that you are safe, Fernheart."

Fernheart did not know what to feel. This felt so right. Twilightbreeze cared. She did not abandon Fernheart. This felt so real.

But Fernheart was now much more concerned about how Birdflight was doing.

"We have to find him. What if he did something mouse brain?" Fernheart paddled around as Twilightbreeze held straight as she struggled to find the scent of Birdflight. 

Everyone held their breath when Twilightbreeze searched for the scent. Twilightbreeze let out a shaky breath as every cat was busy coughing their lungs out when the smoke was tickling their throat, "Sorry. The smoke is spreading and it covers the scent."

Her fault. Her fault. Her own fault. Her own fault.

The voices stirred in her head.

"Fernpaw, you are the proudest kit I have ever had. You will become me one day. Just remember to fight for it." 

No, she did not want to be like Adderclaw, ever. 

But was her life being written?

Or she was supposed to feel like a hopeless vole, could not prevent the possibility of being eaten by a cat?

"Leave Twilightpaw alone! Do you want to downgrade her reputation? And Whitestripe's? And Featherpaw's?"

She cannot believe these words come from Songberry. The kind-hearted Songberry. The motherly cat who Fernheart treated as her second mother.

Her fault. Her fault. Her own fault. Her own fault.

Another voice replaced her haunted memories.

"Your father does not decide who you are. You are yourself. Do what Fernheart wants to do. But not Adderclaw." 

Twilightpaw's words seemed to be a bird, silently tweeting its sad song. The words felt like a gentle breeze, brushing Fernheart's shattered heart.

But problems could not be ignored. 

"Fernheart, remember this, even if I am not by your side in your life afterward, I will always by your side, no matter in any forms."

Fernheart did not take Blazesky seriously on that day that changed her entire family's lives when he said this.

Banishment. Monster crash. Mysterious death. 

What's more?

She was sure that Twilightbreeze could have handled this better than she could.

She lost her way.

And if she lost her brother again, she would never forgive herself. Ever.

"What are you thinking of now, Fernheart? Are you ready to split and find Birdflight?" The silvery voice pulled Fernheart away from the darkness.

She had already wasted enough time. 

She could not waste even more.

She could not even think of the possibility that Birdflight would...

"Let's go!"