CHAPTER 4

Late, holy shit I'm late.

My breathing is shaky from the bad dream I had. I try not to think about it while I take a five minute man shower and attempt to look presentable. Going to school means I have to act like I've got my life together, and play the role of a popular girl. But inside I'm a hot mess, and it makes me hate days like this.

"Derek, move it!"

I barrell into the kitchen, grab a muffin off the counter, and shove it into a paper bag Lucille left on the table. I doubt I'll eat it, but at least I'll have it if my stomach stops churning from the nightmare.

"Don't yell at me, I'm not the one making us late." Derek glances up from his phone with his brows raised, and throws me the middle finger.

I'd call him out on it, but I'm not in the mood. I huff out a sigh and retreat towards the garage. It takes him twenty years to get to the car. I was tempted to leave without him. If we don't hurry we'll miss first period. I'm not the type of person that makes a late entrance. Trying to uphold my reputation means I need to be on top of everything I do.

***

"You're gonna get a ticket at this rate." Derek grips the edge of his seat.

I glance over at him, his lips pull into a straight line as he braces himself. We're about to cross over the bridge. There's minor congestion heading onto the mainland, but it's moving at a steady pace.

The black rails of the bridge pass us in a blur as we drive over. The traffic lessens as we head eastbound into the main part of town, which has a little more density of traffic due to the businesses all crammed into a tight little space.

"Nobody asked for your opinion." I turn up the music in an attempt to ignore him.

A song by Charlotte Rising called Can't Get Enough, vibrates the speakers. It's one of my favorites, but I'm not feeling it today. The thought of missing out on Joey's appearance at the Battle of the Bands makes me grip the steering wheel tighter out of anger. I step on the gas, causing Derek to spill his grotesque smelling shake on his pants.

"You're out of control today, Marnie."

I ignore him and concentrate on getting us to school in one piece. Derek practically jumps from the car the moment we reach the parking lot. There aren't many spaces left, so I end up in the far back near the exit.

I don't waste any time checking myself in the mirror, instead I jet right for the doors. The bell is going to ring in under a minute. Rushing up the steps, I lose my footing on the final one.

I was so consumed with getting here on time that I forgot to zip my bag, and the contents spill out.

"Shit."

As I bend down to grab the books, someone's hand reaches out to help me. Their black skinny jeans and torn black converse are the only thing in my view. A hand covered in tats brush against mine as we go for my notebook. My head jolts up, and I come face to face with Flint's calm blue eyes.

"Ugh." My jaw stiffens, as I let out a long theatrical sigh.

"You're welcome." There's a sharp edge to his voice.

"Why did you give me that flyer?" I ask.

"I thought you might be interested."

My eyes meet his and neither of us look away.

"Well I'm not."

He stands and hands me one of my other books. I swipe it from his grip and mumble, thank you under my breath. I wipe my pants off as the bell rings. Flint saunters into the building without another word.