CHAPTER 22

The week flies by, and now that it's Friday, the nerves have set in. Cam is picking me up in an hour. As I get ready, an idea hits me. Instead of wearing my regular name-brand clothes, I clean out my closet and move all my ripped jeans and band t-shirts to the front. I've packed a whole three bags for donation, and it feels refreshing.

For tonight I'm going to be me and put on a dress I've been dying to wear. I remember my lone trip to Hot Topic during the first few days I had my license. I wanted to reward myself for passing the test. But, when I walked into the store, the dress was out of place, like it was meant for me to find. I fell in love with the golden celestial print against the black background.

I need to know how Cam will react to me being - me. I reach into the back of my closet and pull out my favorite shoes. I retired them for a while, but I think they'll go well with the dress. I slip the white doc martens on and stand in front of the mirror. This is perfect.

As I finish with my makeup, Cam obnoxiously beeps his horn from the driveway. I roll my eyes. This date is already off to a great start. He's not even going to come to the door. I grab my bag and head downstairs. I leave a note letting dad and Lucille know I won't be home for dinner and head out.

He revs his engine like he's bored waiting. I slide into the car, and the first thing he does is peek down at the shoes on my feet. His brows raise, but he says nothing.

"Hey," I say, with the best smile I can muster.

"Dinner first or movie?" He glances up at my eyes for a moment before his attention falls back on the boots. It's been less than a minute, and already he's shown me that he can't handle the real me.

My stomach growls. "Dinner. I haven't eaten since lunch."

He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. He speeds off down the driveway like he's racing in the Indy 500. Two men drone on and on through the radio speakers about the upcoming baseball season. Usually, the sound comforts me as much as I hate it because it means I'm with Cam. Tonight, I can't help but lean over and attempt to change the station. He bats my hand away.

"Dude, it's almost baseball season."

I sigh. "Right."

I rest my head against the headrest and close my eyes. Then, gripping the seats, I try taking deep breaths to calm myself. I'm already regretting saying yes to coming out with him tonight.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes. "Heard from any colleges? I got into Syracuse in New York."

"Wow, that's amazing. I haven't heard anything yet. I'm waiting on Brooke Wood Community and a few others."

"Community college?" His jaw tightens.

Cam is a bit picky when it comes to colleges, and the thought of community college irks him. It used to bother me too, but then I realized I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, so I applied.

"Yeah. I'm not sure what I want to go for. Doing two years in community college isn't a bad thing. It's actually a smart move." I shrug.

"It's just all the low lives usually...."

I shoot him a look. "Not all low lives, Cam."

"I just think it's a waste to go to a community college. There are so many more opportunities in a university." He drones on, and at one point, I try to tune him out.

"You think I don't know that? Sure, I have the money to pay for whatever college I get into, but I'm only eighteen. I could change my mind in a few years with what I want to do," I say.

This was the reason I didn't say anything when I applied. All my life, I expected to go to school and become a famous writer or journalist, but I'm not sure what I want now. I want to make sure that whatever it is, I make the right choice for me. I've seen firsthand what happens when you don't follow your dreams.