CHAPTER 10

I leave Flint's house with an urge to clear my head. Driving around is the perfect medicine for me. Tanya leaves me a few text messages along my route, but I don't feel like answering them. I could probably use some of her amazing advice, but I want to be alone. I've spiraled before into this weird state where I'd rather keep to myself than be with my friends. It was around the time I was looking for mom and I didn't feel like they would understand.

I have a lot of homework to do. My brain is fried, I'll probably accept the point deduction so I can go to sleep. Drum beats pound from the music room as I pass by. It's a sound that I haven't heard in a very long time. There's a small ray of light seeping out from the room. I take the extra few steps past my bedroom to take a peek.

Inside dad has his headphones on and he's drumming away like there's no tomorrow. He's still in his work clothes, but has a few top buttons of his shirt undone. He hits the drums with such a force I've never seen before, like they are a giant stress ball. His brows scrunch together as he shuts his eyes. I decide it's probably best that I don't interrupt. In the corner of my eye I catch sight of the old fender strat I learned on. There's an ache somewhere deep down to pick it up again.

Back in my room I shut down my phone for the night. I'm in need of a social media/technology break. I make the room dark to where I can't even see my hand in front of me. I drift off to the sound of my dad steadily beating on the drums in the background. Dreamland greets me like an old friend.

Echoes of my scream vibrate in my ears. My covers are tossed all over the place and my pillow somehow ended up on the floor. There's sweat dripping down my back and forehead and an annoying throbbing behind my eyes.

I take note of the way my pulse skips around several times as I attempt to take a few deep breaths. I wait for it to go back to a somewhat normal pace before I let the memory of the dream take over my mind. This time Flint disappeared along with my friends. The only major difference with mom's departure this time was that she turned to me and said, this is all your fault.

My breathing has calmed, but my head feels like someone took it and slammed it against the wall. The first thing I do the moment I'm able to stand without wobbling is grab some tylenol from my night stand. I focus on the alarm clock, the red numbers read 8:03AM. Shit! Cam and I were set to have a date today and if I want things to get back to normal I need to go on that date.

When I'm done getting ready I head down to grab a quick bite. In the kitchen Lucille is humming to herself while washing dishes.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

She jumps and turns with a hand flat against her chest. "I tried Marnie, you felt feverish and dad said to leave you."

Her eyes don't leave me as I rummage through the basket of fresh muffins she makes every morning.

"I already called the school," she tells me.

"No. I have to go to school. I'm okay now." I grab some water from the fridge and take a bite of the muffin as I head for the garage door.

"I have things to do today, and I can't miss school."

I'm speaking so fast that I start to stutter. I'm dizzy and a little thrown off but I'm fully blaming the dream for that. Tears threaten to form at the idea of missing my date with Cam today.

"Marnie, are you sure you're okay? Your face is flushed. I really think you may have a fever."

"I'm fine!" I shout.

I feel bad for yelling at her. She nods and reaches for the landline to call the school and notify them that I'm coming. Once in the garage I quicken my pace. With shaky hands I unlock the car and throw everything in. When the garage stops spinning I start the car and head to school.