CHAPTER 7

I wake with a jolt as the nightmare plays on repeat in my head. My body is so sweaty I have to throw the covers off to cool down. I take giant deep breaths to try and calm myself. Usually it's mom leaving, but this time each one of my friends leave too. The dream is about the day she left. This time after she leaves, my friends follow after and evaporate into nothingness.

I scrub hard on my face trying to get the image from my mind. My phone beeps and I swipe it off the bedside table to look at it. It's my first text from anyone after last night's party.

Tanya: Hey girl, be ready in ten. We're coming to get you!

I was so wrapped up in my nightmare I almost forgot today was our Saturday trip to the mall. I'm not a girl who likes to shop, but I do it to stay up with my image. If I suddenly decide that I don't want to go to the mall on Saturdays, I worry that they will abandon me. It's ridiculous to assume, but I'm terrified of losing everything I've built here.

With no time to prepare I tug at my greasy red hair and pull it into a high pony. I attempt to mask any unwanted odors by brushing my teeth, using deodorant, and spritzing myself with tons of my favorite Bath & Body Works scent.

Tanya beeps her horn from the driveway. I don't have time to look cute and plan the perfect outfit, so I throw on my dark blue ripped jeans, and a black t-shirt. I'm a mess, maybe I should cancel.

I wait for the girls to say something about my look as I get into the car, but they stay quiet. Rose sits in the backseat, and even on this gloomy winter day she's got her Chanel shades over her eyes. Her mouth hangs open like she's half- asleep or still drunk.

"What's up with her?" I point to the backseat.

"Hangover from hell," Rose groans.

"Guess I missed one hell of a party." I don't mean for it to come out with a bit of attitude, but neither of them seem to notice.

Rose moans. "Yeah. Where were you anyway?"

Tanya pulls out of my driveway as I contemplate telling them the truth.

"With my dad like I said," I say.

"What did you and your dad do? We were waiting for you to show." Tanya cuts in.

I want to make a comment about not getting any texts, but I bite my tongue.

"I got to meet the lead singer of Charlotte Rising, remember that local band that blew up?"

"Did they have the drummer that died?" Rose asks.

I glance at her over my shoulder. "No, that was Spinning Grace."

Another local band on the verge of making it called it quits after the death of their drummer. It was all over the news a few years ago.

"My dad knew people and it was pretty cool. I got to sing on stage with them."

Tanya peeks over at me and takes in my appearance as we stop at a red light. "That's cool girl, you got pictures?"

I hesitate, but figure there's no harm in showing my pictures with Joey. I scroll through while we wait for the light to change. I go too far and notice a shot that my dad had taken.

"Who's the guy? He looks familiar," she questions, as the light turns green.

"Oh, that's Flint Rogers, his band won the competition. Joey invited me on stage, and it was cool."

For a split second Tanya's eyes catch mine. "Flint Rogers, he's the guy that..."

Rose leans forward between the front seats. "Got caught under the bleachers with his pants..."