CHAPTER 8

I'm dreading school today because of my awkward run in with Flint at the mall. I'm worried about seeing Cam too, he hasn't spoken to me since Saturday. I don't care that he's hanging out with his friends, but the feeling of being an outsider in my own circle of friends is wearing me down. Like on Saturday when Rose and Tanya had a whole secret conversation with their eyes, and I was left feeling like a third wheel.

I'm running late, and by the time I get downstairs all I have time for is a small chocolate chip muffin and a bottle of water to go. My brothers for once are quietly sitting at the table.

"Derek, let's go." I snip.

I don't give him a chance to say anything else as I charge for the garage door. It takes him a few extra minutes to get his ass in gear.

Derek grasps the seats of the car for dear life as we cruise through the highway. I almost skid into the parking spot at the back of the lot.

I've made it with enough time to go to my locker and get my things. As I turn the corner I catch sight of Cam leaning against my locker. He's never waited before, and I fear the worst, but the moment he spots me his face lights up the way it used to. Without hesitation he grabs me and pulls me into his lips. He's eager and looking for something, maybe a way to redeem himself for something he did. The thought makes my stomach hurt. I touch his chest and push away from him, putting distance between us.

"Let's do something this week, like maybe something in the backseat?"

He reaches for me again, and I lean back to avoid his touch. I hug my arms tight to my chest and rub along the upper part of my arm. I may not have evidence that something happened with Cam at the party, but there's a nagging voice inside my head telling me to be cautious.

"Please?" He tilts his head, and smiles. A dimple forms on his right cheek.

I'm usually all for having a makeout session in the backseat of his Chevy, but today I'm just not feeling it. I'm having a hard time acting like whatever is going on isn't bothering me.

"Maybe," I say, giving a fake smile.

"How's tomorrow? It doesn't have to be a backseat date either."

His eyes are trying to grab hold of mine, but I don't allow them too. I release a shaky breath and try not to cry.

"Smoothie City?" I ask.

"Sounds amazing babe. I gotta jet for now." He kisses my cheek and runs off before I have the chance to respond.

I spend the rest of the morning attempting to lose myself in school work, and for the first time all semester I think I even aced a geometry pop quiz. By the time the bell rings for Creative Writing I'm back to being my usual self, but nervous about what assignment Mr. Shepherd will assign us for the week.

"Ladies and gents," Mr. Shepherd says.

He walks around to lean on his desk as the bell rings. The door flies open, turning the students attention towards it.

"Sorry man, I got caught up if you know what I mean." Flint wiggles his brows.

"I do, and keep it to yourself man. Oh, and Mr. Rogers?"

Flint pauses halfway to his seat. "Yes?"

"One more tardy and it's detention." He warns him.

A few students snicker at Mr. Shepherd's comments, including myself. I shift in my seat as Flint makes his way over with a smug look on his face. He sits behind me in his usual spot. My desk shakes as he props his feet up again on the rack underneath. I close my eyes and breathe deeply, hoping this week's assignment won't be too crazy.