chapter one :: devil lake killer

I never thought I'd be both the most envied and most hated woman in this precinct

I never thought I'd be both the most envied and most hated woman in this precinct. I mean, the latter honestly shouldn't surprise me, but I never expected to be envied by anyone - especially not envied and hated at the same time.

There are the officers who clap me on the back and look at me with the eyes that say they wish they were in my shoes - that they were on this case. And then there are the guys whose stares stick little needles into my skin. They hate that I'm co-lead on the case. Hell, they might even be jealous too, but the hate is palpable. I let it roll off my shoulders. For the most part.

But there's some part of me that wants to impress the boys' club, and I hate that.

So, I suck it up. And sometimes suck down a shot or two after my shift.

I know I can't let it get to me. This case is bigger than any of it. Bigger than me. Bigger than any of us. And if anyone knows that a killer shouldn't get away with their crimes because of blind cops, it's me.

I never thought I'd see a serial killing case as bad as... Well, that doesn't matter. This one is the most gruesome case I've witnessed in my time as a cop.

Six women. Six lives taken sadistically. Their bodies were drained of blood from the jugular and wrists, and they were disposed of near the lake just outside of the city - Devil Lake, of fucking course. The women were left bound in a ritualistic manner; their arms tied behind their backs and lying on their stomachs. Facing the sky, a symbol was carved onto their backs. We still haven't been able to figure out what it is, but the same one appears on every victim.

In all the years I've been on this job, I've never encountered such a gruesome crime scene. I still remember that first day. When I saw the body, my first instinct was to cry. Tears had filled my eyes and it took all of me not to sob. Then anger rushed through me like a tidal wave. The despair and rage mixed around inside of me like a cocktail and I wanted to explode. But behind me, my partner put his hand on my shoulder, and I could feel the emotion inside of me cool.

Every time we went out to that lake with each new body, it didn't get any easier. I mean, I didn't want to cry anymore. But the anger boiled inside of me. And the only way I knew to keep it from bubbling over was to focus all of my effort on finding the guy who was responsible. And somehow, I feel like we're getting closer and farther away at the same time.

We have no suspects as of the sixth victim. We had a few people in mind after the first murder, but the connection between these women is practically nonexistent. There is no overlap for relationships - no one that knows all of them. I feel like we're dealing with someone who was a stranger to them.

But whoever this guy is, he's starting to slip up. With each murder, he gets crueler yet messier. Less clean, and more hints for us. Victim five, Sami Joy, was abducted in public. She was alone in a dark parking lot and someone snatched her when she was getting into her car. The cameras in the area were shit, so no luck there. But miraculously, there was somebody else nearby who got a glimpse. We have a partial description and an idea of the type of vehicle he drives.