chapter fourteen :: i should warn you

CONTENT WARNING: strong sexual content

I leave the records room, waving goodbye to Kirsty. Once upstairs, I try to get out without being seen. I slide my shades down and start towards the door. But from across the hall, I meet someone's gaze. Someone I was hoping to avoid.

Drake stands there, his eyes trained on me. Part of his expression tells me he's surprised to see me here but he also wants to say something. I can't do this right now. I divert my gaze and head for the door. It's just feet from where he stands. I can make it.

But of course, as I pass by, he catches me right under my elbow. I feel a shock ripple up my skin. I pull my arm back.

"Jenny," he says cautiously. "What are you doing here? Cap doesn't want to see you until tomorrow."

I shrug. So? "He won't."

He narrows his eyes suspiciously. "What were you doing?" They shift over my face and down to my bag. "What are you up to?"

I defensively clutch the strap of my bag. Thank goodness for the damn sunglasses. "Nothing! Why don't you trust me?"

Drake sighs, his hand reaching over to mine. "I do trust you, Jenny. I..." He closes his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the other day."

"Me too." And I mean it. "I'm sorry too." I don't think I've been this apologetic in a long time.

Suddenly, he lifts his head, his gaze sparkling. "I have an idea. Why don't we go out tonight? There's this art gallery that opened recently. We could check it out."

I arch my brow and lift my sunglasses. "An art gallery?" Since when were you into art?

"My sister has a painting on display there."

"Ah," I say, smiling. But it falls just as quickly as it formed. "I, uh, don't know if going out is such a good idea."

"Come on," This time he takes my hands into his. I'm surprised by the warmth. It feels nice. "I think it might do you some good. Get some fresh air. See some art."

All of the breath leaves me. It's so hard to say no to him. To that face. And honestly, as much as I want to hole myself up in my apartment, to keep myself away from everyone and everything, I know this is what I need. I need to feel normal. To do a normal thing with a normal person.

"Okay, let's do it." Please don't make me regret it.

" Please don't make me regret it