chapter thirteen :: i'll do what you want

Leaving the prison should have shut out the claustrophobia

Leaving the prison should have shut out the claustrophobia. It should be left behind with the barred windows and locked doors. But even when I exit the outer gate and it buzzes closed, the ringing in my ears intensifies. It rattles in my head, creating a symphony of terrible pitch and painful echoes.

I hunch over, clutching my head. My body shakes as I try to breathe as the pain crawls up my temples and moves behind my eyes.

"Stop," I plead. "Please, just stop!"

The buzzing escalates, and I swear my head is going to explode or fly off my shoulders. I can't take it anymore! I let out a primal scream as I drop to my knees. "Stop it!" I cry out. "I'll do what you want, just stop! It hurts!"

It begins to quiet, slowly fading. The remainder of the buzzing hums in my ears as I try to catch my breath. I lift my teary eyes and I see several people standing in the parking lot, staring.

"What the fuck are you looking at!?" I stand and their eyes widen. They hurry off to the front gate of the prison.

As I make my way to my car, I feel a pinch in my stomach. I pause, my heart racing.

Who was I pleading to? The demon? No. I shake my head, laughing to myself. That's ridiculous.

The pinch turns into a twist, and I gasp aloud, dropping my keys. Fuck. I lean down to pick them up and as I bend my torso, it feels like my organs are being pulled and yanked. I cry out, almost falling onto the pavement again.

Doubled over, I retch. The vile scent infiltrates my nostrils. It spews out of me, splattering onto the warm concrete and onto the wheels of my car.

Blinking the tears away, I grip the door handle of my car to steady myself. My chest rises. I can't overlook this anymore, can I? I wipe at the corner of my mouth.

If I really was talking to the demon, then what the hell did I just promise it?

Whenever I would start to drown in my personal life, I would throw myself in a case

Whenever I would start to drown in my personal life, I would throw myself in a case. It's the only place where I can refocus and calm the waters. I can't go back to the DLK case. It's closed. The killer is caught. I need something new. Something relevant.